Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Darkside – Graeme Obree’s new bike.
  • RepacK
    Free Member

Look at the size of that gear!!!

Flying Scotsman

ps Good luck to him.

MrAgreeable

Apart from the chainring it looks incredibly normal.

Joxster
    Free Member

Graeme is as mad as a barrel of frogs 😯

He really should call it quits, I know why he doesn’t (probably the same reason I don’t)

If he goes for the record I hope he gets it, he’s one of the characters that cycling is lacking in these days.

RepacK
    Free Member

I just like the position of the bike – all stretched & built with a single minded purpose & probably from stuff he had in his shed!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

it’s like my commuter except he is pushing a girlie gear

MrAgreeable

From reading the interviews with him around the time that film came out he seems to have stayed in touch with the scene and kept his finger on the pulse. I think he’s in with a shot – time trial is one discipline where people don’t necessarily get worse as they get older.

IHN

He needs to flip that stem. If he’s you know, man enough.

aracer
    Free Member

He needs to flip that stem. If he’s you know, man enough.

I’d put money on the fact he’s more aero with it that way up. Look at the piccy of him on the bike – elbows lower than hands, stretched out, thus giving him as near an approximation of the hands in front tri bar position as is possible under the regs. Given innovative positions he’s come up with in the past, that’s probably more aero than anybody else has got within the regs.

glenp
    Free Member

Michael Hutchinson’s hour record book is a good read – gives you an insight into what it takes, especially technically. Although it has to be on a traditional bike you can make it deliberately ill-fitting (as Obree is doing here) so that you still get a stretched position. If you see pics of the current record holder (who took the crown from Boardman) it is interesting to see he took a different approach with almost vertical arms to make a flat back.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Best of luck to the guy. He got such a rotten deal from the cycling authorities. I admire he can keep going in the face of such narrow mindedness.

His book is very sad in some places, very brave and well worth a read.

Combined with the time trial book ‘the hour’ I really learned contempt for the UCI.

aP
    Free Member

That looks like a very aero, but also not excrutiatingly painful hour position. See how totally wrecked all the other classic hour record riders were after finishing after they’d attempted to get a good “normal” position.

zaskar
    Free Member

Thinking his chainwheel is bigger than my car wheel! 😯

I hope he does beat the record! 😆

andyfla
    Free Member

The bike also features another Obree trademark, a huge gear: 138 inches (67×13) to be exact.

67 !

geoffj

Did anyone see him at the Revolution events in Manchester – how was he looking?

UpQuickDownSlow

Went to a couple of Revolutions, but don’t remember seeing him. Think I would have noticed his name in the programme!

geoffj
    epicyclo

The bike even has lugs!

I wonder what the druggie cyclist union (UCI) will dream up to try to stop this effort.

alpin
    Free Member

sodding trendies and their fixies…..

i really like the fact it isn’t some carbon fibre all singing, all dancing machine. just a nice old fashioned looking machine.

aP
    Free Member

It is an old fashioned looking bike because those are the UCI rules under which the hour record is now ridden.

miketually
    Free Member

Chain looks slack. Seattube slot at the back so crap will get in. Stem’s too long.

😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I was very lucky to have a meal with him (well , beans on toast!!)a few years ago, he is a top bloke, very intense and quite funny !! 8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – Graeme Obree’s new bike.’ is closed to new replies.