Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Darkside- Best puncture proof tyre?
  • hora
    Free Member

After 3 punctures in one day. Well I need a decent tyre thats also easy to fit and remove. The current rim/tyre combo is hideously hard to change.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Conti GP 4 seasons 28c

hora
    Free Member

The ones I took off are Grandprix GTs- how do they differ?

scud
    Free Member

Most actual puncture proof I’ve found is Gatorskins, but on the flip side they feel plasticky and grip is a bit pants, have had Michelin Pro 4 Endurance on bike for 12 months, I’m a bit of a unit and had no punctured and done a good 2000 miles, cheap as well

DougD

Been using 25mm gatorskins for the last year or so and they’ve done pretty well, roll fairly quickly though I haven’t really had anything else to compare them against. They’ve a few cuts in them now so I’ve just ordered some schwalbe one v-guard from bike discount which seem to get a good write up

bol

Conti 4 Seasons are good but expensive. I’ve got Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elites on my Langster at the moment and I think they feel remarkably good for a tough tyre.

jam-bo

Unless you’ve been really unlucky, multiple punctures in a ride generally mean you didn’t fix it properly or pump it up enough.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as a puncture PROOF tyre. Any pneumatic tyre can be punctured.
    🙂

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I was getting punctures with Vittoria tyres almost every ride, I changed to Panaracer Ribmos and have only had one in a year. I have 23s, but you can get 25s.

LardLover
    Free Member

28mm Gatorskins if they’ll fit. Otherwise 25mm Gatorskins.

amedias
    Free Member

Gatorskin hardshell for the ultimate, 12,000+ miles with no punctures on mine, but the ride is pretty awful 🙁

Have been using Bonty hardcase for a while now, touch wood still no punctures in the last 3-4k and ride a bit nicer than the Contis.

Even managed to trash one in a Van-colliding emergency stop that ripped a section of tread a few inches long off the carcass and left me skidding on the barre carcass and still didn’t go through so I’m suitable impressed so far with whatever it is they’ve put in there between the tread and the tube.

Sandwich

Make sure the rim strip is still in a good condition. If the strip has started to drop into the spoke holes in the rim-bed then it’s time to change them. I’ve got some orange coloured hobbies fitted now that are much better than the Michelin ones the bike came with.(Sandwich the 5 punctures in a short ride king).
    GP 4 Seasons for tyres too.

wheelie

Best i have had to date for commuting is the Schwalbe Durano 700 x 25C
    folding. They roll nicely , last well and grip. Better from experience than the continental 4 seasons. £18 at Bike Discount

TheSanityAssassin

Schwalbe Durano Plus – bombproof. I’ve worn every pair down to the blue puncture protection strip and have not had a single puncture 2.5 years/ 20k miles.

Waderider
    Free Member

I run conti GP 4 seasons and even do light off roading on them. Also did the Paris Roubaix challenge on them last year. Worn out several sets over the last few years, no memorable punctures and 1 casing failure, the latter after some ridiculous stony towpath riding.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

While we are kind of on the subject.

How do you know when to change road tyres?

Rockplough
    Free Member

The Contis I run have wear indicators.

TiRed

I have never had so many punctures as I did with those dreadful tyres. Anything from the next level up with decent protection.

Personally, I like Schwalbe – Durano S are a good alround tyre. Durano Plus if you want acceptable but “robust” puncture performance. One if you just want the best tyre available.

I think Durano Plus would suit your riding. I commuted through West London over winters with them. YMMV

sq225917
    Free Member

Conti Gators are pretty tough but the Gatorskin Hardshell are tougher still.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Darkside- Best puncture proof tyre?’ is closed to new replies.