Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Dark Side – Road tyre for general usage?
  • davemonty
    Free Member

I ride a lot of road to train for racing my mountain bicycle blah blah blah. All purpose, from base miles to road races, but puncture protection is much more important than light weight.
    I had Continental Gatorskins front and rear and they were fantastic, never punctured, only now the rear has gone and got a big hole in it, so I’m gonna have to get something new.
    My question is, another Conti Gatorskin, or Michelin seem to be giving away some free socks if you send them a picture of your Pro4 tyre, and to be fair to them the Pro4 does look a great tyre, but it’s 40g lighter than the Gatorskin, so is it lacking in puncture protection or just class, should I go for it for a change? And are there any other tyres you’d consider?
    Cheeeers.

crikey
    Free Member

I think you’ll find a number of people recommend the Conti GP 4000s.

Good, long lasting, grip well and last for ages.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Crickey +1

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve been using Conti gp4000s for the last year or so and a few 000 miles
    Just the one puncture and plenty of grip

crikey
    Free Member

However…..

I’ve used GP4000s for the last 18 months or so and they are as good as people say but…

I switched to some Michelin Pro Race 3s for a change, and the difference is noticeable; they feel quicker and smoother and grip better while riding in the rain.

I wouldn’t say they are a better tyre, just that the GP4000s are not the best at everything.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Dark Side – Road tyre for general usage?’ is closed to new replies.