Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dark side – Planet X Carbon Superlight question
  • speaker2animals

Whne I get out of the saddle and "honk" on the above I get a bit of a groan coming from down in the BB area, or seems to be down there. I suspect it's the frame rather than the BB unit/cranks, but I will check them over just in case.

I am a "big" bloke (104kg) so just wonder about the frame integrity. It really hasn't done a lot of miles in the 18 months I've had it. There was no weight limit on the frame stated.

Anyone out there got one and had a similar thing?

radoggair
    Free Member

Had a similiar issue with mine, changed the BB and greased it up copper good. No issues since. The noice washorrifuc though, drowning out my ipod

Jason
    Free Member

Mine seems fine, although I am a bit of a lightweight at 85kg. I have noticed a bit of a creak coming from the bars if I pull hard on those, never really looked for where that noise is coming from.

cp

The cause of the creak is far more likely to be due to a component that needs greasing and or tightening in the chainset/bb area, which is just getting massively amplified by the hollow carbon frame. Carbon makes creaks and knocks sound really weird- I wondered what was going on with my focus until I noticed a brake cable outer lightly vibrating against the headtube!!!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Whne I get out of the saddle and "honk"

Not being funny, mate, but if I was a 16stone+ rider on a budget carbon road bike called a 'Superlight', I'd learn to sit-and-spin like I had glass cranks…

But, yes, it's more likely to be your BB. Maybe a chainring bolt. The 105 BB in my Stealth Pro creaked like a bad 'un and no amount of removing/regreasing/retightening would cure it. Eventually replaced it with another BB and solved the problem.

Jason
    Free Member

The thing is the Planet-X is hardly a super light (despite the name) carbon frame. It is a lot more sturdy than more expensive, lighter offerings from mainstream brands.

crikey
    Free Member

Bottom headset bearing will be rusty/clicky; take it out and grease it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dark side – Planet X Carbon Superlight question’ is closed to new replies.