Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Dark side gearing
  • OCB
    Free Member

I use 34/50 and 11-32 on mine!
    Lots of sudden, short, very steep climbs out in the back-lanes (an’ I’m more worn out than I look) 😛

Haze

34/50 – 12/27 serves me well, though I sometimes notice the top end is missing a bit.

Never ridden a double though so nothing to properly compare.

cp

Answer for Wingnuts a few posts back….

Deore 48t ring came new off these here classifieds a few weeks ago. They are fairly widely available for £25ish quid.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I went for an 11 speed 12-25 on a compact rather than paying attention to the big ring snobs and getting a double. Plenty of room on the ups and the downs and a nice close cassette too. The jump between 34 and 50 is quite big, but a couple of shifts down the cassette at the same time sort that out, or a compact with a 36 is slightly closer. I got the compact so I didn’t need to grind up the hills in the Alps when I go there on holiday, but also so I can still get up some of the silly steep British hills in the lakes and else where that can be a right bitch on a standard double.

donsimon
    Free Member

Speak to the local bike shops to see what they’d advise and select on your needs.
    39/53 11-26 here so MTFU a bit too. 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Why is it assumed that if you spin you are unfit? If you watch pro cycling you will find that the best climbers will generally be in a lower gear and turning a higher cadence, whereas the sprinters will be running bigger gears and grinding to the top – Just look at the cadence that Lance Armstrong use to climb at.

I used to ride in a big gear and grind my way up, but in the last couple of years I’ve tried to train myself to be more of a spinner: At first it was hard work but I’ve got used to it and now I find it is much better, particularly on long climbs that have a gradient that varies. Spinning may, on the surface seem the easy option, but keeping a high cadence is certainly hard work and takes some training.

Ultimately, someone who runs a compact will be able to ride just as fast on the hills as someone running a double, albeit at a higher cadence, which is supposed to be better for endurance.

Big gears are often run by people who think they are better than they really are.

rusty90
    Free Member

Big gears are often run by people who think they are better than they really are

But not always 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahaha hence why I used the word “often”.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t get why 34/50 is a HUGE jump and 39/53 is fine, there’s really not much difference. I’ve ridden 39/52, 39/53, 42/52 and currently ride a 34/50 compact. The main issue is what cassette range you’re using IMO, for me 12-27 works best but then I don’t mind the gaps that produces and my cadence varies to accommodate, I can understand why some people that have a more specific cadence they like to hold don’t like the jumps though. 12-27 vs 11-25 means I can still stay seated on some of the steep local climbs if I want to but I’m sure I could adapt easily enough to a 25.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Compact 12-27 for the Winter.

Compact 11-25 for the Summer.

The only people who really care are MTB’ers for some reason. The most interest anyone in the cycling clubs ever paid to it was “ohh a compact, any good? Should I get one?”

But then again I have a B-twin jersey and DHB shorts, so I’m clearly not fassionable enough to realise how uncool my compact is :p

servo
    Free Member

I’m a strong road rider and have used standard 53/39 for years but I like the compact on my work/training bike because the 50 ring is a lot more useful for everything apart from racing.

If I had a 54 ring I would be nearer the bottom of the cassette just riding around. With a 50 I am in the middle of the block normally.

Just put it in the 34 for the steep climbs. I can even use the 50 for quite a few hills.

Get a compact.

tony_m
    Free Member

rusty90 – Member
    Big gears are often run by people who think they are better than they really are.

But not always 🙂
    Exhibit B: Mr Obree’s road-bike, 55×11 top gear IIRC. Was also pulling a trailer when he came over on the ferry to Islay.

And FWIW, 34/48 and 12-25 here (with a nice blouse to match, thanks 8) ).

TiRed

In an effort to hit next year in good shape from the off

Just ride fixed over a hilly terrain. Should see you right. 42/16 and find a big hill to ride up and down. My road bike is 42/52 and 12-27 and gets me over most things, but fixed and hills is the fastest way to fitness.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dark side gearing’ is closed to new replies.