Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dark side advice for Mr MC; 2010 Specialized Allez Comp for £800?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Having possibly suffered a blow to the head and receiving an email voucher code for an extra £100, Mr MC has come around to the idea of a road bike and is hovering over the “buy” button on this 2010 Allez Comp, which is £800 at Rutland with the voucher. Ally frame with carbon seatstays, carbon fork and mainly 105 kit.

We’ve had a brief look and there doesnt seem to be anything close for the money- no Giants on offer, the Boardman has sram Rival 20 and other stuff has Tiagra.

Its a today only offer, so is there anything else he is missing?

Also, he is ~5’10 with a ~32″ inside leg. He likes his MTB’s a bit smaller and shorter (rides a medium Santa cruz where he is right at top of size guide, and had a small 456) and the more upright ride due to longer head tube of the Allez should suit him as he rides more upright than many due to an old spinal problem. Internet size guides reckon the 54cm, come roady mates reckon a 56cm but he is worried that might be too long as well as too tall. Any opinions? He’s gonna try sit on a roadbike or 2 today but it might be a bit of a buy-on-a-whim.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/14745/Specialized-Allez-Comp-2010—Road-Bike-.html?utm_source=Flash&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=allez

Stuey01
    Free Member

Probably a 54cm, but he is borderline.
    If he finds it a little small he could always fit a slightly longer stem, some pros ride with up to 14cm stems.

SRAM Rival is better than 105, in my opinion, so wouldn’t consider that a reason to rule out the Boardman.

alexxx
    Free Member

I agree with the advice above however I dont see why people dont go for second hand road bikes more… they are usually immaculate and a 1/3rd of the price.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

stuey, sram is more of an unknown than shimano to us both so its lack of knowledge/experience rather than rubbishing it. Andy Schleck not the best advert though 😆

alexxx a good point, both Mr MC’s MTBs are second hand and have probably had more use than the average road bike. It was the rutland email that spurred us into action, and as non-roadies knowledge-wise it would be a case of being blinded by choice and not knowing where to start looking or what to look for rather than snob value of buying new.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ and ride a 54cm Tarmac which fits me perfectly. It’s an ex demo and a guy before me rode it and at 5’10” he felt a bit cramped on it.
    Not much help but sitting on one for size is definately the right thing to do.

Stuey01
    Free Member

stuey, sram is more of an unknown than shimano to us both so its lack of knowledge/experience rather than rubbishing it.

The wheels, cassettes, chains are all interchangeable with shimano, so it isn’t as much of a leap as campag. The gear change is a bit more “agricultural” than shimano but the levers are brilliant.
    When the time comes I’m gonna try swapping the cassette and chain to shimano ultegra units (bike is sram force equipped), hopefully that’ll give the best of both worlds.

The Allez is supposed to be a fine bike.

FWIW there are some excellent deals about on 2010 Cannondale CAAD8’s, might be worth a look.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my local shop had a alu Merkx bike for about 800 – it looked really nice. I’ll try and find it.

+1 he is borderline 54/56. Best to try one and go from there. I’d say 56 if I had to.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think it was this one

Eddy Merckx AMX-1 Tiagra 2010 Road Bike

Kevevs
    Free Member

I am 5’10” 32″ inside leg and I ride a 56cm 2006 Allez comp with a 90mm stem and it is bang on for me, can ride it all day. I reckon a 54 with a longer stem would be spot on as well. It’s a great bike. I think I would go for the 54 though, given the choice.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ARgh the dilemma especially of being on that size gap. Looking to try and get him to sit on a friends Bianchi later which (I think) is a 56 as someone said it has similar geometry. Come on all persuade him to get a road bike .. although got to jump on him now whilst he’s enthusiastic 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

I ride my roadbike looooads more than my MTB. just get on and go, straight out the door. no faff and carry on. I like clocking up miles, it’s more zen than battering about on MTB. But when I do get on the MTB, the fitness is there in my legs, so I have more fun! It’s all gravy 🙂

Stuey01
    Free Member

Road > MTB

Hope this helps.

footstomper
    Free Member

“I agree with the advice above however I dont see why people dont go for second hand road bikes more… they are usually immaculate and a 1/3rd of the price”.

Very sensible advice from alexxx if you hunt about a bit then you will get a Carbon frame for that money; they are a lot lot better to ride especially on long days in the saddle.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I bought my frame & forks for £100 from foxyrider here! bargin!

Del

i’m same dimensions and ride a 54 langster. recently moved from a large pompino to a 54.5 ett surly crosscheck because i found the pompino too long for me. it’s easier to make a frame ‘stretch’ a bit with a lay back post/longer stem IMO if required.
    if he’s got back probs then it would look like an easy choice to go smaller. no-brainer IMHO.
    the allez should be a nice bike.

poppa
    Free Member

they are a lot lot better to ride especially on long days in the saddle.

Not always, some carbon frames are designed to be extremely stiff.

atlaz
    Free Member

alexxx – Good places to get 2nd hand road bikes? I need to get one for the commute and general fitness and can’t justify another new bike.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Be careful with ebay, lots of people get excited and overpay for second hand road bikes, but still worth looking at.
    Classifieds on here or Bikeradar might be worth a look.

gazc
    Free Member

just got a bianchi via nerone off the classifieds here, great bike only ridden it a few times so far but very impressed especially as it cost less than the bike i was looking at with a way higher spec. maybe put a wanted ad up if you’re looking 2nd hand?

footstomper
    Free Member

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1344538.htm

Might be worth a look at this, same bike but a lot better spec.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

footstomper, bizarrely mr mc works in oxford!

footstomper
    Free Member

😀 Could be just what he is after. if its close to where he works then even if he does not want to buy it he can at least try it out for size. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dark side advice for Mr MC; 2010 Specialized Allez Comp for £800?’ is closed to new replies.