Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dangers of the Dark Side
  • ratherbeintobago

Looking for some reassurance.

Went out on the road bike (I know, I know) for the first time in ages today. Was riding uphill (probably 12ish mph) towards a junction when some prat in a minicab pulled into my path (usual story – tit in another vehicle on my side flashed him to say it was clear, having not seen me); managed to scrub off speed by putting feet down but avoided hitting him by sitting down on the road.

No damage to me except hole in jersey and enormous bruise to arse I’m going to have to come up with creative excuse for if the wife will ever let me out on a bike again; bike appears undamaged bar scuff to saddle/QR skewer and rode ok 10 miles home. Now, given the low-speed nature of the off, and that I think I took most of the hit, how likely is a carbon frame to be damaged by this?

Cheers,

Andy

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

carbon – I’d want a new one…

ratherbeintobago

Thanks, I think. Anyone else got anything to add?

Andy

druidh
    Free Member

From what you’ve written, it would appear that the bike didn’t actually hit anything (other than the road?) What makes you think it will be damaged?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If the bike just fell onto the road and was not bumped / shoved / hit by the car I would say it will probably be fine. If there are no obvious impact signs on the frame then it is unlikely it has suffered any serious damage.

Carbon is pretty tough stuff.

soobalias
    Free Member

you put your feet down to slow down?

do you ride a brakeless single speed?

ratherbeintobago

you put your feet down to slow down?

do you ride a brakeless single speed?

Christ no. Both brakes on as hard as I could squeeze; I find fear makes me able to unclip at lightning speed.

Bike didn’t hit anything except road. And possibly me.

LBS said they’d give it the once over to make sure there’s nothing obvious.

Thanks all,

Andy

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

carbon is a lot tougher than the scare mongers would have you believe.

allthepies
    Free Member

Check that the carbon hasn’t been splintered anywhere as carbon shards can enter your bloodstream, make their way to your heart and kill you to death.

😉

ratherbeintobago

Check that the carbon hasn’t been splintered anywhere as carbon shards can enter your bloodstream, make their way to your heart and kill you to death.

Yes – CF poisoning kills people in ways I can’t fix with my intensive care unit 😛

Andy

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It is probably ok if it didn’t receive any sort of sharp impact…

cynic-al
    Free Member

both brakes on and feet on the floor, you must have been forward of the saddle and then over the bars?

bike will be fine btw.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dangers of the Dark Side’ is closed to new replies.