Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Damaged Rib Cartilage
  • udder
    Free Member

Has anyone done this and have any advice?

I came off of the snowboard last week and popped a rib out of place. Absolute agony. Couldn't even breathe without it hurting. After some anti inflammatory drugs from the doctor the rib went back and the pain disappeared, however, I'm now left with a dull ache and I can feel the rib clicking forwards and backwards around my sternum when I move. The wife hugged me last night and felt the click for herself so it's definitely not me making it up. It's an uncomfortable feeling but at least it's not hurting. I've been resting ever since I did it but I've very much reminded of the injury when I laugh,sneeze, cough and even when I take a dump.

I've heard cartilage can take up to a year to heal and can even become chronic. I hope this isn't the case has I've got some big MTB plans for this year.

Cheers!

jon1973
    Free Member

I've done this after I fell off my bioke and landed on my ribbs right on the kerb.

It does ache for months, and if you knock it hard in the same place it seems to take it back to the way it hurt when you first did it. Probably not far off a year before I was completely back to normal. Stock up with plenty of ibuprofen. But don't let it stop you from getting back on your bike. Just be prepared for a bit of pain if you fall off.

benclark
    Free Member

Yeah, fell off and busted my chest on a rock. Didn't clear up properly for years actually, still clicks a bit now but no pain. Problem with cartiladge is there's very poor blood supply. Advice? Don't rest it too much, and stretch it every day, ideally three times a day. If in doubt, go to a physio….

udder
    Free Member

Oh no, so it is true…

Thanks for that chaps.

I'll just stock up on pain killers and carry on as normal then and learn to live with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Damaged Rib Cartilage’ is closed to new replies.