Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dalby- help me choose a route
  • tom199
    Free Member

Heading up to Leeds to visit a friend next week and suggested a trip to Dalby. Never been before and never seen him ride so I’m assuming he’s fairly novice. So is there a route that’s suitable to keep me interested (albeit at a slower pace) whilst not being too challenging for a mtb novice. He’s fit so distance not too much of a problem
    any tips on places to park/ join the trail etc that might be helpful?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The red route is quite long (23 miles) and does have a few bits that might be a bit technical for a novice.

Blue loop is shorter but is mainly fireroad (although there are some newer bermy sections).

I’d go to sherwood pines instead. The red loop is shorter and fairly steady going. There’s the bike park to mess around in too.

rogermoore

I’d say do the red route as there isn’t a great deal which would trouble a novice, the bits that are more tricky are signed too. It’s a slog round – 20 odd miles – but a good day out if you’re fit enough, but there are some fairly mundane sections of fireroad to negotiate too. For you there are a few black sections which shoot off the red and re-join shortly after.
    I usually park at the main visitors car park, but you can park at Dixon’s Hollow and start from there. Parking is £4 at this time of year.
    RM.

Hobster
    Free Member

Do the red from the visitors centre up to Dixons hollow and take it from there.

You can either do the full red, cut across to miss the top loop of the red or cycle round to join the blue.

devash
    Free Member

I think the Dalby red route is actually great for novices. You can walk the difficult bits but it can be a bit of a slog. There’s always escape routes on the fireroads back to the car park though so if you get tired its not too much of an issue.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Dalby red is broadly fine for a novice, it’s harder on brake pads than your skill set in honesty and the tougher bits can easily be walked.

There is/was one small bit which was badly worn towards the end (assuming you parked at the visitors’ centre) maybe 2/3rds of the way last time I was there that I wouldn’t be comfortable leading a novice down as the line choice wasn’t great and typically one of the more awkward bits to walk round – down would be fine if it’s not too busy. (oblivion maybe?) Essentially you entered a worn berm/switchback which dumped out into a worn rocky section with a couple of small drops and the slower line was badly cut up. It may well have been repaired by now though.

I’d be comfortable taking my Mrs round the rest and have done most of it with her.

It is however a reasonable length for someone who isn’t used to riding a lot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dalby- help me choose a route’ is closed to new replies.