Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dalby Forest Red – good for beginners?
  • ready

Heading to Yorkshire Moors for a weekend with Mrs Ready. I quite fancy Dalby but Mrs not too sure. Is the red very technical/climby? Or would we be better off in Howardian Hills?

jonny-m
    Free Member

The red is long and quite boring to be honest.
    It’s 2 hours at a good pace and only really good for about half of that.
    The rest is fire road, reasonable techy though.
    I only really go in the winter for long training rides

dallas95
    Free Member

If she’s a true beginner then the red is not for her, too long and too technical (in parts). Go up to the dixon hollow car park and take her on the green trail (adderstone). It’s a mix of mainly fire road and some single track and about 8 miles with some nice views and woodland trails.

[/url]IMG_2156 by Paul Harrison, on Flickr[/img]

If she’s wanting something more challenging the blue trail has more single track and some steeper descents.

ready

Thanks for that. She’s not a true beginner, been to BPW, done whites level at afan, llandegla. We’re staying near the howardian hills so might just end up having a little pootle around there instead.
    I just wanted to tick Dalby off the list

Mugboo

I say do it if you’ve not done it before. It doesn’t have any real height so you feel like you do more climbing than descending. It definitely rewards the fit as the more you pedal the more flow you will find.
    Having said that I think of it more as a good place to improve my fitness rather than a pleasure.

I tend to turn right on the forest drive at Dixon’s Hollow then straight on at the dirt road on the bend. Right at the T junction and that lops of a good chunk.

Mugboo

And your missus will be fine I reckon.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Try the blue route, it shares the same trail as the red in sections and there’s some really nice bits to mix up the fire roads.

It’s also only half the distance of the red so doesn’t feel like a slog.

joemmo
    Free Member

Dalby blue is short and has some fun sections, nothing tricky really. The red is ok too but there are some rocky descents that could be off putting but it’s generally fine

sr0093193
    Free Member

I used to find doing the red to be a bit of a drag and only used it to link up cheeky stuff.

I would take the climb from the car park. At the top the blue and red split so follow the blue, you can head over the addestone/dixons from there.

Mess about on the jumps or do a loop of the world cup track (the big features all have easier B lines, or they are short bus stops that leave and join the same fireroad).

From Dixons take the red to the riggs and dales section, parts are shared blue and red but tbh it’s all the same difficulty.

Theres a newish blue final descent that splits off so do that, then when you reach the track at the bottom instead of turning left to the little skills area, go right and back up the hill to pickup the red again (it crosses the track) and then do the final red descent back to the car park.

I would say white’s is more difficult than 99.5% of Dalby.

ready

Thanks for the replies.
    Sutton Bank is about the same distance away – But I’d never heard of it until about an hour ago!
    Is it worth a look?

wombat

Sutton Bank area are my local (ish) trails.

TBH it’s fairly tame and not massively technical but nice enough for an evening spin out.

It’s mostly waymarked trails that were already there when the bike shop opened but have been formalised a bit.

We tend to ride bits of it as parts of various loops in the area but this is out of convenience rather than design.

There’s more variety at Dalby but Sutton Bank feels more natural IMO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dalby Forest Red – good for beginners?’ is closed to new replies.