Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Dalbeattie or Ae?
  • mancian
    Free Member

Hi.

Heading up to the Dumfries area on Friday before driving across to Peebles for the Scottish Open Enduro.

Will be riding Mabie for sure but can’t decide between Dalbeattie or Ae. I’ve not ridden either before but love GT and Inners.

What do peope recommend?

Kirroughtree is out of the question as it’s a bit further to drive and not all the trails are open.

Help much appreciated.

Cheers.

haggis1978

Dalbeattie all the way. Ae is shite.

Scapegoat

Dalbeattie. Rocky, challenging, but not a massive amount of climbing involved. It’s a good engaging trail with some really fun bits put in. Ae involves more climbing if my memory serves me (haven’t ridden it for a few years) and has some good jumps on the final descent. Both are great, but if you like rocks and stuff, then Dalbeattie would be my recommendation.

Northwind

Ae if you don’t mind spinning up to the top and doing the downhill and shredder, but it’s a bit lacking if you don’t imo. (especially as they seem to have made Omega Man even shitter than it was, which is going some as it’s always been a benchmark for a shit trailcentre build) But there is some really nice riding there and I need to get back.

Dalbeattie is the better ride IMO but it also just has more charm, or interest, or something- it’s got the standout and memorable bits Ae lacks that makes it easier to get enthusiastic about.

nickdavies

I think I prefer Dalbeattie as there seems to be a bit more about it, I liked Ae though but I know lots of people slate it. I pick Dalbeattie of the 2 when I want to have a ride on the way up North but happily do them both if i’m having a few days in the area.

Trekster

Both are good. You won’t be disappointed whichever one you choose.
    Choose one and then report back 💡

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is better but has far too much fire road, Ae, as already mentioned, is ass.

breadcrumb

Dalbeattie all the way. Ae is shite.

I concur.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is ace, especially if you get Trekster to give you the ‘unofficial tour’ ;-)))

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Dalbeatie and Mabie in the afternoon, for some big berm fun 🙂

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Another one for Dalbeattie, wasn’t impressed with Ae in the slightest.

Trekster

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Dalbeattie is ace, especially if you get Trekster to give you the ‘unofficial tour’ ;-)))

Being Enduro riders I think the OP might like the Enduro trails @ Ae better 😉 💡
    Would need to speak to Callum & arrange a guide or check stravaaaaaaa obviously.
    Doubt I’m fit enough to keep up with some race whippets, been wrestling with 3×2 paving slabs!! Not good for the back, knees or hamstrings……

Off out on the auld Dawg to check route NCR10 through Harestanes wind farm. Beattock and back, 30mls ish.

scottyroyal
    Free Member

Dalbeatie – love it, could ride around there all day
    Ae – not too bad but one lap is enough before you get bored

SOAP
    Free Member

Drumlanrig or Ae?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Ae’s not *bad*, but it does leave me frustrated.

Soooo much climbing, Soooo much height, but really short descents.

it’s Dalbeattie for me, even the Blue’s good for a quick hoon round.

(the blue at Ae on the other hand, is an utter waste of time)

rene59
    Free Member

Drumlanrig

rickmeister

Dalbeattie… don’t get stuck in the Ae hole…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is lots of fun. Ae is the worst trail centre in Scotland.

rudedog
    Free Member

We did Kirroughtree red/black about a month ago and they were diversions at the bottom of Heartbreak hill due to forrestry work. We ignored them and didn’t see any sign of any work taking place.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

rudedog –

Some Pics of Hissing Sid and Black Craigs now

SOAP
    Free Member

@ nobeerinthefridge I read somewhere it’s possible to ride half the black and then come back down the road to rejoin the Red.
    Any thoughts on this….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not sure Soap, But tbh, The section from the top of heartbreak hill onward through Talnotry and Sid is the best part of the black, If it’s not open, I’m not venturing down.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+1 for Dalbeattie.

Ae is ok. The last descent is ace, just not sure its worth all the effort before hand……

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Dalbeattie if you’re a weak climber and love fireroad otherwise Ae. Plus the cafe at Ae wins hands down. For the record I don’t dislike Dalbeattie-but far more boring than Ae

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Does anyone know when the Kirroughtree Black is due to open? Been on the 7 stands website and it just mentions the closure and not the duration of said closure…..

Cheers

failedengineer

Ae’s not the best trail centre, but it’s far from sh**e. I don’t really understand the hate on here for Ae. Mind you, I thought Drumlanrig was crap, so what do I know?

Spin
    Free Member

Dalbeattie all the way. Ae is shite

This.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I thought drumlanrig was ok, but not somewhere I’d go back to. Hey, I love Ae, but then again I like riding up big hills then riding down them again. I think the haters just can’t face a climb or 2.

endurokid
    Free Member

Ian.

We need to hit Dalbeattie then head over to Mabie before heading back to the B&B to clean the bikes 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say it’s shite, none of them are shite, just that some of them are different. Horses for courses.

I’ll need to try out the recent Enduro additions at Ae though.

grum
    Free Member

The DH tracks at Ae are fun.

Trekster

Spin – Member
    Dalbeattie all the way. Ae is shite
    This.

How’s about you and the other “haterz” provide some constructive criticism and ideas on what you would like to do to improve the trail 💡
    There is a family run business having leased the shop/cafe relying on visitors.

I was there at the weekend, the car park was full.
    Tuesday night rides have 20+ riders
    Today the car park was full
    😆

Spin
    Free Member

OK

Accepting that I’ve not been for a few years and it might have changed:

Poor surface. The aggregate was so large that it was unpleasant to ride.
    Both the climbs and descents had too few technical features to be interesting.
    The plantation itself is particularly dense dark and opressive.
    There weren’t really any views.

The shorthand I use for the above is ‘shite’.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Hijack alert: Dalbeattie Question

If I took my wife for a pootle around the fireroads / smoother trails on her hybrid – how much of the interesting stuff would I be able to ride on our way around?

I haven’t been for ages so my recollections are kind of hazy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Edit – it’d be quite difficult, as the trails pretty often pop u out onto a different fire road.

prawny

Those pics of Kirri make me sad. I was watching youtube vids of talnotry down to the road the other night, I went up there this time last year, and the trail from the top of talnotry down to rejoining was the best 20 minutes riding I’ve done so far.

Fingers crossed they get it sorted, I was quite pleased with myself for managing to ride that fairly cleanly.

mark88

I love Ae, but then again I like riding up big hills then riding down them again. I think the haters just can’t face a climb or 2.

This is what I was thinking, and even so, the climbing is nowhere near as difficult as the likes of Glentress.
    The downhills are mostly well graded as you’d expect at a trail centre so don’t expect anything too rooty or hard, but they’re littered with jumps and berms. You’ve got the option of the DH courses at AE as well.
    Dalbeattie is alright for a quick blast but it’s very flat and the trail itself is far from challenging (but there are a few optional rocks and skinnies.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Trekster – Member

How’s about you and the other “haterz” provide some constructive criticism and ideas on what you would like to do to improve the trail

1) more climbs like the first one – bloody great bit of trail that, i’d rather climb on trails like that than on a chairlift. Trails like that are cheaper than a chairlift too.

2) downhills that make better use of the height (ie, longer).

There is a family run business having leased the shop/cafe relying on visitors.

Then Ae needs a 10k swoopy blue – to bring in the noobies/kids/families. People who are happy, even grateful, to spend some time in a warm cafe after a ride.

the current blue is completely crap, all the families and kids are going to Glentress (Mabie, this also applies to you).

Ae attracts downhillers and locals, people who are happy to eat a pot noodle in the back of their ply-lined T5, or eat when they get home.

would i take a group of noobies to Ae? – no, we got to Glentress or Cannock.

Build a long swoopy blue*, and they will come.

(*you could even call it a red, so the snobs don’t mind riding it)

prawny

Mini hijac – is there anything good for t’kids to do at dalbeattie? Or is it just a car park? Not taking their bikes up.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Poor surface. The aggregate was so large that it was unpleasant to ride.
    Both the climbs and descents had too few technical features to be interesting.
    The plantation itself is particularly dense dark and opressive.
    There weren’t really any views.

Holy crap, I couldn’t disagree more. Ae has IMO the best and varied climbs of all the stanes. The first one is twisty and occasional swoopy bits. Short fireroad climb followed by one of the most ‘technically’ difficult climbs anywhere.

Technical features-you have actually been to Ae haven’t you? You’re not mistaking it for Newcastleton?

Large aggregate? You do ride a mountain bike don’t you? The rocky descent to the wooden bridge is awesome-kinda like a Lake District descent. I really think sanitising it will remove the fun factor.

Plantation??! This is forestry commission land-without which there’s no bloody trail at all

Views-sheesh! You want your cake and eat it! Go the the lakes if you want a nice view.

Anyway, the cafe is bloody fantastic. Luxury hot chocolate, haggis panini and tray bakes ftw!’

Edit: I do agree with /\ about needing a good blue to attract kids etc-should probably start right from the doorstep of the shop/cafe or the trail head is too far away

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Dalbeattie or Ae?’ is closed to new replies.