Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dalbeattie info
  • ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’m taking my 10 year old upto Dalbeattie in May for a few days riding, I was just wondering if he’d get round the red route. He’s managed laps of the Reds at Llandegla and Cannock without any probs.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Quite a bit more challenging in parts!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he said, it’s very techy for a young un, good though.

Trekster

As above but depends on his ability, plenty of local kids ride it. https://www.facebook.com/events/771423919596193
    Download the map, there are plenty of shortcuts and easy enough to pick up the blue.
    From the start it’s a fair auld climb up onto the Moyle which has eroded a fair bit and can catch out the unwary! At the end of the Moyle comes the first of the “difficult” sections/descents, the Scree Slope, line changes regularly depending on weather and rider choice…
    After that it is a bit of red/blue easy riding till you cut off left onto red, short, sharp climb up onto Mobby Dick!!
    Narrow, twisty, rocky section follows with a tricky wee drop over some rocks to the Kipford view point. The climb up through the “Beaches/Blue Bell” Wood takes you to “The Slab”…. this is a black/orange option, the red route is a few yards along the track. A number of rocky off camber bit to negotiate, some off camber.
    Then a bit of forest road along to Road to Nowhere. You could choose blue at this point or go left and pick up red back to car park. Tricky/techy drop near the end of this section just after the big rock climb (can go around rock)
    You can opt to miss the big forest road climb up to Smithland by taking the forest road to the left at junction across the road. The climb Could be a killer. At the end of the “shortcut” go right and pick up Smithland on your left. This is a very pedaly, rocky section and a couple of bit need commitment to get over. Correct gear etc and will be tough on a small wheeled bike.
    That and the next section can be missed out by going left at the above forest road shortcut and pick up Spooky Wood on your left, just around the corner. This eventually bring you to probably the trickiest descent, Jacobs Ladder. Get down here and it’s plain sailing after that back to thee car park save for the section called Rattle & Hum I think, give it a miss if tired, lot of effort for not much reward…..

Enjoy…

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Thanks for that Trekster….. Were stopping at Gorsebank so will be able to ride straight from the site into the forest. I’ve got the map already so will have a look….thanks guys.

km79
    Free Member

From what I remember Dalbeattie is great when you can keep your momentum up as it is quite a flat loop but with lots of little technical sections. If you can’t keep up your momentum, stopping and starting all the time at these sections could take away the fun for a ten year old (or any year old!)

wadam00
    Free Member

The entrance from gorsebank drops you out into the skills area – plenty here to give you an idea of what’s to come.

Mabie also good for a little rider – not to far from Dalbeattie.

prawny

The bits of he blue I rode a couple of years ago were a hoot. Agree with what was said about the techy nature of it, it was sopping wet the first time I went and it was a miserable couple of hours, much better last time in the dry but still a frustrating dab-fest on the whole.

Not sure whether to bother this year or go back to Ae instead.

Edited to add – Mabie is much more Cannock-like if you can get there. Not far from Dalbeattie but you’ll need the car.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Cheers for the Replies guys…..I was going to hit Mabie up if we got bored at Dalbeattie. What about Kirroughtree…I’ve heard it’s a beast…too much for a young one?

CheesybeanZ

Personally I’d say in order of tech / gnar – Maybe , Dalbeattie , Kirroughtree.

Trekster

keep an eye on 7Stanes FB page for diversions/work @ Mabie

Kirry would be a good call, still some tough climbing but not quite so techy and a bit faster as opposed to the paddaling over boulders at Dalbeattie.
    Ae, not so easy to make up your own route, few shortcuts. Red out Granny Greenlove and the forest road along to Colin’s Folley on the blue route is something we do with kids/beginners. First climb up Rabs Slippy Bit tends to sort out the men from the boys 😉 The blue is pretty basic(crap)except for Colin’s Folley which is worth a push up

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Personally I’d say in order of tech / gnar – Maybe , Dalbeattie , Kirroughtree

Nonsense, Mabie is a flowing trail with very little techy stuff. Dalbeattie and Kirro black have far more ‘features’.

boxelder

Nonsense, Mabie is a flowing trail with very little techy stuff. Dalbeattie and Kirro black have far more ‘features’.

Reverse order list from Mr Beanz, I’m guessing

prawny

Kirri red is very similar to Cannock I thought, with a couple of short nadgery uphill bits no more tech than Mabie and much more flowing.

Wouldn’t bother with the Black unless your lad is really keen. The first half is a slog second half might be a bit much, and all as one ride is a big ride.

Drumlanrig is worth a ride though too. I love it there.

CheesybeanZ

Correct .

br
    Free Member

Good café at Dalbeattie FWIW

prawny

Where is this Dalbeattie cafe? I’ve been twice and never seen it?

Cafe at Kirri was ace, not sure who’s running it now though, I think Cream o Galloway pulled out.

boxelder

There’s a cafe at Colvend (March – Sept), 10 min pedal from south end of trail. Also newly opened cafe in garden centre in Dalbeattie.
    Cafe at K’Tree still ace (even better?) – run by the lovely Sofia.

prawny

Good to hear.

Last trip to that area for a while this year, family are getting bored.

I’ve suggested Peebles for next year, and they’re going for it 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

Cheers for the Replies guys…..I was going to hit Mabie up if we got bored at Dalbeattie. What about Kirroughtree…I’ve heard it’s a beast…too much for a young one?

Of the reds Dalbeattie is the hardest (probably verging on black in places) and Mabie the easiest. Each has a distinctly different character and worth riding all of them as to an extent its down to personal preference.
    I found Mabie to contain too much climbing for too little reward – and that coming from a skinny bloke that likes a good climb.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s the cafe at colvend but also one just off the road near the car park, there’s a sign outside just near the entrance to the car park. I’ve never been but my wife has been for breakfast and she enjoyed.

Regarding the red route, I would say there’s plenty he’ll be able to do but some pretty techy bits. A mix of blue/red can be done though as a bit of a taster.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cafe at Dalbeattie is really good, Gemma who used to run the cafe at Mabie fame…

Apologies Cheezy! too early for me!

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Looks like we’ll be doing Dalbeattie, Kirroughrie and Mabie…. in that order…..according to my lad.lol

Gary_M
    Free Member

You do know it’s nearly an 80 mile round trip to Kirroughtree from Gorsebank.

prawny

Worth it though. We have to do it for the bloody Gem Rock Museum, I’d kill to take my bike with me that day of the holiday and let the Mrs take the kids to look at the rocks

Trekster

prawny…… http://www.bramblescafe.co.uk/contact.html

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Cafe at Dalbeattie is really good, Gemma who used to run the cafe at Mabie fame…

It’s Jemma 😉

prawny – Member
    Worth it though.

Definitely 🙂
    Cream’o Galloway
    Laggan Outdoors
    Gatehouse attractions
    Sandyhills beach
    Steamboat @ Carsethorn for evening meal 💡
    Coastal path from Kipford to Sandyhills or Portling and into Dalbeattie forest at Colvend.
    Rock pooling/climbing at Rockcliffe or
    Red Kite trail……

So, so much to do….

PS. If Jnr likes museums like my grandson does then a visit to the Dalbeattie one is a must. We spent a couple of hours there last summer 😀

MoreCashThanDash

If you are going to Kirroughtree think about going up to Glentrool up the road. The blue has the longest descent at any of the Stanes, apparently. Though the slog up to it might put him off, to be fair.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dalbeattie info’ is closed to new replies.