Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dakine hydration packs and which computer?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

2 completely different questions here:

1- Need a new hydration pack, my tescos bladder has started leaking and it’s a bit small anyway. I’m looking at Dakine as I have an older Dakine backpack which is by far the comfiest backpack I’ve used. Which of the mid-priced (around £50) models should I be looking at bearing in mind I may be getting a DSLR in a few months, so needs enough room for that + all usual tools and probably a thin jacket as well. If not Dakine, who else does something with a similar build quality and comfort?

2- want a computer for my road bike to track my mileage mainly. Not too fussy so long as it’s accurate and will clamp onto 31.8mm bars. If possible I would like the option to be able to turn off the current speed from being displayed as I find this a bit demotivating on climbs and such..

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I have no complaints with my nomad bag. the new bladder i’ve bought for it is great. the bite valve for it though is crap. difficult to lock it closed.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Hydrapak Laguna on CRC for $54, I was considering one of these, seems to be quite spacious.
    I saw a CamelBak Mule somewhere for £44.99. I can’t remember where though….. 🙁

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

Neil the Mule Cheddar/Charcoal was £44.99 on CRC but seems they don’t have it anymore. I got my LBS to do a price match on it as a Christmas treat for myself 🙂

Lummox

Second the dakine nomad, great tool spares pocket, foldaway straps for pads/ tripod? Fleece lined glasses pocket, massive main section and separate bladder section. Also bombproof consruction.

Only neg is the bite valve on the reservoir, cut it off and fit camelbak bite valve.

peakmonster
    Free Member

used both camelbak and dakine prefer the dakine 😛

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dakine Nomad here too, the Mule’s hung up in the garage.

bigbob38
    Free Member

+1 for the nomad 😀

Crag
    Free Member

Got a Drafter here and am very impressed. Same size bladder as the Nomad but a smaller pack. Still loads of space in there. Very well thought out in comparison to the Camelbaks.

Jamie
    Free Member

3-4 years ago I bought a Camelbak Mule. I found the straps surprisingly uncomfortable and sold it on and bought a Dakine Nomad.

We have been happily married ever since 8)

…as for Q2. I use my Forerunner 405 these days, but before used a Cateye Micro Wireless which seemed quite good.

Tom83

Another nomad here, love it.

AndyA
    Free Member

Had a dakine apex for a few years now, very happy with it. I think its slightly bigger than the nomad, but you can use the staps to pull it all down so it’s low profile, but more than enough room there if you need it for your camera/jacket etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

If the OP is thinking of getting a DSLR then the Apex will probably be the best bet. Same bladder as the Nomad, but with more room as Andy says.

HTTP404
    Free Member

2- want a computer for my road bike to track my mileage mainly.

Garmin forerunner 305 with heart rate monitors are cheap on amazon at the mo. and a handlebar mount will be pretty easy to buy or fabricate.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nomad or Apex is sounding like a good bet then. Didn’t realise how expensive Dakine packs are!

Tom83

Worth it though, Tom, they stand up to a lot of abuse!

peakprowler
    Free Member

Try Evans, they price matched a Nomad for me on Saturday for £44.95 with CycleSurgery

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve had my “normal” dakine bag since about 2004 (ish), still going strong!

juiced
    Free Member

my 04 nomad and bladder is still ( mainly) going strong, as one of the zips plays up now and again.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Nomad was £50 off Stif last year. (& theyr’e not known for being cheap)

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have a drafter – no problem with carrying a DSLR in it.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nomad ordered, just need to sort out a computer now 🙂

gbichan

I have a drafter. Carry a DSLR with 18-200mm lens plus usual spares and waterproof jacket no problem. Struggle to fit the camera in when I’m carrying a full face and pads but don’t tend to chance the good camera when I’m doing something more risky anyway. Would happily recommend the bag.

Too slow!

_tom_
    Free Member

Nomad arrived today, the size seems just about perfect 😀 Looks like the big compartment will easily fit a good sized camera + light jacket and food in it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dakine hydration packs and which computer?’ is closed to new replies.