Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Daily newspaper opinions
  • snap
    Free Member

Good morning

Ive never bought a daily newspaper on a regular basis ,always waited to watch the news
    I feel drawn to bying a newspaper to keep up on current affairs
    Now i no that what paper you read almost says something about you

So….What paper do you read and why

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

I only get the papers at the weekend (Grauniad & Observer), but when i did get the papers during the week it was just The Guardian as i am a flaming liberal who does not give a monkeys about celeb news or agenda fuelled posturing.

Thing is tho, why would anyone get a paper now there is bbc and most newspapers online. Especially now with wireless and laptops you can even take ’em in the toilet with you :mrgreen:

case
    Free Member

Another Guardian/Observer Reader here. As above am a lefty liberal type but tend to find the news in the Guardian (not the comment bits the news bits) to be fairly neutral and balanced – at least compared to the likes of the Daily Mail. I also like that the Guardian doesn’t take itself too seriously, constantly does Guardian reader jokes and a lot of the columnists are very funny.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Guardian here of course :-). mildly left of centre, decent international news, decent sport ( except its coverage of Scottish Rugby)

Sunday Herald

Private eye

Regularly read the mail, record and the Sun as well

samuri
    Free Member

I used to get the express because the cryptic crossword was about my level. This said that I was capable of doing the express cryptic crossword about me. Then I realised it was the ‘wrong’ newspaper and people were actually judging me based on my choice so I stopped buying it. This was in the days when I got a dinner break, obviously.

nickc

Independent, mostly because of the people that write for it. Not on weekends though as it’s so far up it’s metro-sexual new age liberal artsy arse it’s almost a parody.

binners

Another Guardian ready pinko/commy here too. Its actually compulsary to read it where I live (Manchester’s media enclave).

If you don’t, they form lynch mobs who come around to make you herbal tea, and present you with worthy and rational arguments in a polite manner until you submit to their will

Seriously though, the Guardian has the best spread of coloumists and commentators – Charlie Brooker, Simon Jenkins, Simon Hogarth, Lucy Mangam etc who present some surprisingly un-lefty opinions.

I get the Mail on Sunday too. As It makes me laugh to see the world viewed through the prism of the 1950’s home counties

mt
    Free Member

Telegraph or Yorkshire Post cause I’m a right wing bigot who thinks all liberals are failures who wish they could be Stalin. Love the Alex cartoon in the Business section of the Telegraph, (W)Banking industry explained. Like the Observer for Sundays.

binners

And the Guardian has the best film/music reviews. In a perverse way.

If they say a film’s great, then you can bet your arse its some 4 hour long piece of Icelandic tosh about nomadic lesbians, fighting for their right to become catholic priests.*

If they say its awful, Its probably worth a watch. Any sign of an exploding helicopter they switch off.

* You wouldn’t believe the black and white sub-titled crap I’ve sat through at the Cornerhouse before I realised this. Hours of my life I will never ever get back

simon_g

Current news and most columnists’ stuff is all online so no need for paper.

I do subscribe to Time though, worked out at about 45p an issue and there’s plenty of interesting stuff in there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Guardian most days even though I don’t share it’s political stance – I’m a leftie who doesn’t beat about the bush fence-sitting in the liberal centre.

Very often/most days The Independent which imo spends a little less time sitting on the fence but unfortunately has a lot less news (although often more in-depth news) Plus I find their readers letters a touch more radical than the wishy-washy liberal Guardian reader letters.

Occasionally/once or twice a week The Times – still a brilliant paper despite the fact that it’s owned by an obnoxious yank – although thankfully he doesn’t interfere anywhere as much as he does with The Sun.

Used to read The Telegraph quite a bit purely for it’s journalistic qualities, but gave up on it many years ago.

IMO unless you want to buy several papers, you should just choose the one which most matches your own political stance – they all have their own agenda.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The Guardian at weekends for all the reasons above, followed by the Indy or Telegraph if i’m desperate.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

I take The Times. Ever since it went to the smaller size, about 6 years ago i think.
    Mainly for the Sport, esp the Game on Mondays.

I will get the Observer once a month to pick up OMM. Very good publication in its own right.

nicko74

Ugh – I only reluctantly read daily newspapers, because there’s less and less actual news that they report.
    Sun/ Star – baps and how those nasty immigrants are stealing our jobs, explained with pun headlines
    Mirror – not so many baps, trying to be more serious, but still got the pun headlines.
    Mail – no baps, but those immigrants are stealing our jobs and should be shot, the whole lot of them, no understanding of civilisation
    Express – Diana and Elvis live on, working in a diner somewhere.
    Times – like the Sun, same proportion of actual vs ‘sleb’ news, slightly longer words, more graphics illustrating stories about how immigrant doctors are a liability.
    Independent – has ‘sleb’ editors (eg Bono), single issue front page about how the people of the world are ignoring the plight of some long-lost tribe in outer mongolia. More actual news, but very bleeding-heart.
    Guardian – thinks it’s the title of choice for the meeja set. Tries to be trendy; pages 2-6 generally devoted to how scientists have discovered water slides off ducks’ backs like, well, water off a duck’s back. Rather than ‘sleb’ news, prefers double-page profiles of slebs, including Whoopi Goldberg (twice in two weeks). Can’t seem to have a single story without typos.
    Telegraph – for the ‘mature’ reader; its readership is dying at an alarming rate. Formerly ‘true blue’ political stance (immigrants are bad, mm’kay) but now surprisingly relevant given how quickly Labour is going from bad to worse.
    FT – world news from the point of view of the reader having a financial investment in every country and company in the world. Very intelligent, and yet rather tedious, no sports or pleasurable element. Weekend edition is a little less serious, like a grown-up Sunday Times.
    As for me, I read the Grauniad on Saturdays (really, there’s less news and more carp every week); Observer occasional Sundays (probably the best of the lot). Used to read the FT, still read the Economist; used to be a media researcher. 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

times (online) because of habit and familiarty more than anything. BBC online is good for quick overviews.

Just remember that whatever you pick it will be biased. At least online you can read about the same event from more than one perspective/ vested interest.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’ve given up reading a daily paper, they all just annoy me too much. But The Guardian was my choice in the past. I think buying Saturdays would probably be the optimal.

cove123

The Times + Sunday Times, it is the only paper to read, Uk/world/sport etc even has a good kids page which by 8yr old reads/does the quiz in the morning before school.

being reading it the past 22yrs or so, subscride to it to get it cheaper now…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they all just annoy me too much

So I take it bunny, that your general irritation with other people’s opinions extends far beyond just this forum, into all aspects of life ?

I had suspected that the impressive level of grumpiness which you express on here, might be some sort of ‘safety-valve’ for an otherwise easy-going, cheerful, happy bunny.

You must be an absolute joy to go on a bike ride with, when & where ‘decisions’ need to be made.

But anyway, keep it up lad – I find the entertainment value of cantankerous, ill-tempered, old gits, hugely rewarding and amusing.

And the fact that STW has it’s very own ‘Basil Fawlty’ is something which should be deeply cherished 8)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Daily newspaper opinions’ is closed to new replies.