Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • daftest way you have put your back out ?
  • iainc

as with many on here I suffer back pain at times, which is usually managed by careful stretching/supplements/core stability etc. Ironically i was commenting to a mate earlier this week that i was getting a bit lazy on the core stability stuff as back had been pain free for a while…………

so anyway, last night I am bent down brushing the kitchen floor and the wife puts a lump of frozen chicken on my back on her way to the microwave (it could have been funny ? perhaps ?)……so I turn with a jolt, and bang, back goes into spasm 👿

so that's my Wed ride fecked now, and maybe Sunday's too. diclofenac to the rescue – have od'd with 5 since 9pm last night and it's just starting to ease. having been here before I know how to get it out of spasm and under control, but what a bluddy nuisance… grrr….

tonyg2003

lifting my (roadie) training bike years ago. Back has never been quite the same since. Who said training on heavy bikes is good for you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bending over to pick up a remote control the day after my first game of hockey in about 20 years.

flyingmonkeycorps

Playing pool. Got stretchered out the student union and everything.

allthegear
    Free Member

Does doing absolutely nothing, in the middle of the night, count? Woke up in agony at the end of May. Osteopath is good, though…

Oo – I have a pic, too…

iainc

feeling better already, keep em coming !!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

1 hour after shopping at Tescos 🙁 Just bent over and – wham bam thankyou maam

PJM1974
    Free Member

Whilst doing the horizontal lambada in the back of a Volkswagen Polo.

I still wince at the memory of that one…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Walked off an 8ft split level wall (i.e. there was no wall on my side) in the dark.

Ohh, I'm falling?

Wheres the ground gone?

*head/concreet interface*

Ohh there it is!

Why am I cupping the blood coming from my head in my hands? I can't put it back in?

Lots of blood, lots of pain, lots of whiplash about a week later.

BigGraham
    Free Member

I refer you to my post from this morning ow ow it hurts basically not moving stuff out of way thinking "that'll save me 5 mins" and over a week later I still have a hot leg to remember not to be such a f***wit next time!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yesterday I yawned, but I was sitting funny and must have done me shoulder in. Bloody hurt all day. 🙁

Whilst doing the horizontal lambada in the back of a Volkswagen Polo.

By Christ are you a contortionist??

IanMunro
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

By Christ are you a contortionist??

No, hence my back going into spasm and me spending an afternoon in A&E.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Bending over picking up a rag while cleaning my bike. And a couple of weeks back I did something to my calf muscle by stretching in bed when I woke up- hurt like hell and left me limping all day.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Helping my SO give birth fecked mine up proper good, god that hurt!

IA

I had a nice yawn, couldn't walk for 3 days! I'm a fairly healthy 27yo, that shouldn't happen to me! 🙁

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Bending down so my 4 year old, riding on my shoulders, could press the button at a pelican crossing. Had to put him down then support myself on walls and buildings so I could drag myself 500 yards home.

Picking up same child at the bottom of the stairs on Christmas Eve a year later, just prior to cooking a big meal for family and visiting parents on Christmas Day – that also involved leaning on kitchen units and dragging myself around on Christmas morning so I could do it.

Picking up my camera bag just before starting a job! Involved lying down for 10 minutes whilst being fed large amounts of ibuprofen so I could get up and "keep calm and carry on"

chrissyboy
    Free Member

So anyway, my pal Mark (real name – he's not a cyclist so will never read this) apparently used to enjoy a bit of 'gentleman's relief' in the bath when he lived at home. He didn't enjoy the 'issue' ending up in the bath with him, so used to contort his little feller out of the bath. And put his back out doing it. And then had to explain to my Mrs (who he worked for at the time) why he couldn't come to work.

I thank you, thread closed. There can be no more ridiculous way of injuring your back….

sambob
    Free Member

I Landed on my face doing a forward somersault on a trampoline, that hurt. A lot.

willard

I picked up a sheet of paper. Not even heavy paper, just a sheet of normal A4. Took me over a fortnight to get over that, and a lot of painkillers.

5AM
    Free Member

Granted not as ridiculous but mine went getting out of the bath back in mid feb.
    After 7 weeks of agony on a cocktail of opiates, dicoflenic, diazempam I had a steriodal epidural. While completing this they managed to puncture the spinal dura so had to have a blood patch a couple of days later to fix that.
    Long story short the bulge on the disc was far to big to have gone away with the steriods, and on the 16th August I went under the knife for a discectomy. Still recovering and will be for another month, but the pain has gone at last 😀
    The only good thing to have come of all this… I somehow decided that a bike might help me recover between the steroids and the op, and well here I am and at the moment I'm addicted and can't wait to be healed enough to get out again 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Getting out the car in a tight space so that I had to twist funny.

Leaning over the bed to put some clothes down.

Never doing anything butch and mnly, funnily enough.

Get well soon, I feel your pain. That many diclofenac must be making you feel a bit funny too. I know it used to turn me into a bit fo a zombie.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Last time was a few months back. Got on a train and sat down. All was well. 35 minutes later, went to get up and, wallop! Eye watering pain and very nearly couldn't get off the seat. It was spangled for about 10 weeks after that 😥

BigJohn

I never have any problem with my back, but about 6 months ago, at the end of a perfectly normal Sunday morning ride, sitting in the tailgate of the car, reaching down as usual to take off my boot and a little twinge started then just grew and grew and grew until I couldn't move.

Doctor gave me some strong diclofenac and CoCodamol. I think it's the constipational quality of the morphine in the CoCodamol that acts as a sort of internal splint, and thus keeps you bolt upright that does the healing.

Xylene
    Free Member

First time I was 20 – did a diving forward roll down the stairs and through the doors at newcastle uni into the club downstairs – didn't know it was out until the morning when I couldn't get out of bed.

Took it out again at the gym – slipped adjusting my position and the jolt knocked it out. Couldn't get my undies on or off and got stuck on the loo. Had to be helped off by the missus.

Last time was getting up off the sofa. I put my laptop down as I went up and it pinged out.

Touch wood, been ok bar aching and such from falling.

stevestunts
    Free Member

I've just missed a second day of work thanks to my back going 'twang' in the early hours of Tuesday morning. I was just turning over in bed, although admittedly I'd spent much of the weekend lifting heavy stuff.

I've been stretching through gritted teeth today and feel a little more mobile now. Hopefully I'll manage to get some sleep tonight.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not my back but a really stupid way to hurt myself – I was cleaning the inside of one of my cars rear windows, for some reason at an odd angle which meant my leg was twisted round. Must have strained it too far as my knee popped and I collapsed. Just soft tissue damage but it happened two days before my driving test which knocked my confidence and I was rubbish!

tyres

Having had a dodgy back for years (I've lost track of the £1000s I've spent on osteopaths etc!?) I've have the opportunity to put my back out in many different ways.

Lamest was squatting down to pick up a coffee from the stage floor (I used to work in theatre) only for my back to go as I reached the bottom of the squat. Collapsed in agony out of sight of anyone else. Once I'd got someone's attention I ended up being stretchered out to an ambulance up a one storey high ramp (the stage was lower than the street outside). Colleagues helpfully taking the piss out of me trying to get me to laugh, which was easy as I was on nitrous oxide, without thought for the pain that the laughing was causing me. Bu**ers!

Most MTB related was bunny-hopping a big puddle. The effort caused my back to go into spasm in mid-aim. Landed in a heap. Thankfully I was out with my sister on that occasion so had someone to look after me.

There's loads more but they're the headliners. The lesson should be to look after your back! Don't just dismiss back pain as something that will go away. If back pain starts to become a regular feature of your life seek assistance. I'd recommend a combination of 30% osteopathy to 70% sports massage. Be prepared to spend whatever it takes even if it does seem ridiculously expensive. If you do not get things sorted sooner rather than later then the eventual bill and impact on your life may be much greater!

A final positive note is that exercise, especially biking, continues to be very beneficial for the health of my back. 🙂

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Putting my bike in the shed.

iainc

some crackers in there

tyres – spot on, although in my case I saw osteopath 2 weeks ago and had a sports massage, concentrated on my back on Monday evening !!!

meehaja
    Free Member

Towel drying my hair I put my neck into spasm and was stuck looking at my left foot for three weeks. after two weeks back at work I bent over to tie my shoe laces and couldn't get back up.

TenMen
    Free Member

Playing swingball with the missus. Missed a shot, followed through a bit too much, and couldn't walk for a week.

MrNutt
    Free Member

dropped a biro, picked it up and AAAARGH!

Deevass
    Free Member

Yesterday. Spent the bank holiday weekend on the two wheeled steed slip sliding root riding hill climbing step flying drop trying….. Got into work on Tuesday morning with nowt but a few scratches on my legs, lent forward to switch the PC on and badda bing badda boom, back went……

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Picking up a dropped bolt in the garage. But I think it was my first attempt at ice skating the previous day that was the real cause.

Xylene
    Free Member

Done it a few times sneezing as well.

iainc

I am finding that 2 glasses of wine on top of the Diclofenac is helping too now 😆

Flapjack
    Free Member

Getting out of bed on the morning of my 21st birthday. Spent the next week lying on a mattress on the floor unable to move and having to piss in a bottle!

Chin-up.

iainc

It's amazing just how many of us have sore backs and reasonably regularly 'put them out', despite probably being closer towards optimum weight/fitness/core strength that the average. I would suggest that fitness and core stability tends to speed recovery when it does happen, but I don't really want to say that, quite yet……

What was that old evolutionary thing about man should have stayed on all fours ?

AlexBerry
    Free Member

putting my undies on stood up first thing in the morning…according to my physio, it's very common, and ever since i've sat down……simple but effective……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘daftest way you have put your back out ?’ is closed to new replies.