Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Daft Question – Conditions at Laggan?
  • dmiller
    Free Member

Sorry for the daft question but Laggans clear / ride able etc isn't it?

Also just how tricky in the black? Done the red a few times before and its time to MTFU… 😀

David.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's clear looking at it yesterday from the van.

The black has some tricky sections but is all doable- might be a bit scary first time but you'll get it!

hugorune

Mr Miller! How the devil are you? Ask dangerous Dave about Laggan black – he crashed two or three times but 'it's all rideable' 🙂 If you do a Youtube search for Laggan Black run there a couple of full length POV clips of the whole route. Looks **** scary to me! It can't still be snowing up there – it's nearly May!!!

Iain

dmiller
    Free Member

Iain! Man hows things in your foreign local? Danger thinks everything is ride-able – and he does have some skills!

As for snow this was CV at the start of the month!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cenjui/sets/72157623756296770/

Might have a you-tube search later on actually – more misuse of work bandwidth!

Determined to give the black a go to try and get some enthusiasm up – work is still killing me – I just cant be arsed with anything these days 😥

Thanks spokes-cycles!

hugorune

And then I try to think of the reasons why I left Scotland… 🙂

Biking in Snow sucks! Have fun but take it easy unless your wearing some serious body armour and a full face helmet.

See you on FB

the_lecht_rocks

laggan black's the best test of any of the UK's trail centres imo.
    i love it , such a shame i haven't been for a while 🙁
    let us know and send up some pics once you get back 🙂

ChrisL

I found the Laggan black a significant step up in technical difficulty from the Laggan red. The black seems to me more like a series of technical features with some trail linking them rather than a trail that contains technical features. The features are generally rocky and steppy, often steep too.

If you're into it the black is very enjoyable and rewarding. If you're not into it it is pretty easy to get demoralised as there's not much to it except the technical bits. The first time I went I managed the first few technical bits but my confidence was increasingly drained and by the end I was miserable and giving up and walking features before I'd given them a chance. On the other hand the last time I was there I thought it was great and I enjoyed tackling the challenges.

One thing I think is to not feel rushed. The first time we were there I felt very much at the back of the group and that I was holding people up, which meant my confidence dropped further each time I messed up a bit.

nbt

hugo rune – Member
    It can't still be snowing up there – it's nearly May!!!

I bloody hope it is, we're going up to Aviemore tonight for a weekend skiing! Taking the bikes to ride as well, will maybe hit Laggan at some point later in the week

glenh
    Free Member

It's not snowing currently, but over the weekend and next week the hills will be getting fresh snow.

robgarrioch

Couple of previous threads here that may interest you David –
    One
    Two

dmiller
    Free Member

Thanks Rob – I'm getting pretty excited thinking about it now! 😀 😀

devs
    Free Member

It's dry as a dry thing just now. ChrisL's description of the black is spot on. It's a proper good work out getting down it but for the most part if you pick a line, get off the back of the bike and let go of the brakes you'll get down it.
    The first time I did it it was the day after doing Golspie. It felt really hard and as if there was no flow. It was really disappointing after the flow and grin factor of Golspie. You've just got to ride it a few times and learn how to ride it. I loves it now!

lorettocourt
    Free Member

Was there last week and not a patch of snow anywhere below 2500 feet – well above the trail height. Black is a brilliant route when its dry – very technical and rocky – but scary when its wet. Personally I think its a big step up from red to black there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Daft Question – Conditions at Laggan?’ is closed to new replies.