Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Daft question about Singletrack.
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Oh ffs! I thought I hadn’t sorted in my head, now I am at risk of being taken out by a sniper!

On a more serious note I am sure no one would sneer at your hard work and livelihood being dealt a blow like that. I imagine it was not the intension of the bikers to do that and maybe clear signage and opening up between Feb and June might be the way forward to please all?

crosshair
    Free Member

All the PROW’s are clearly marked. It used to be common sense that anything not marked is not a PROW. Now, people seem to want the countryside laden with signs! Welcome to the recreation nation- everywhere’s a theme park.
    I also find that at night, people think they can go wherever they like because there’s less chance of getting caught.
    It’s just another indicator of how selfish everyone has become.
    Like I say, if people took the time to engage with landowners/gamekeepers/rangers etc and helped them out by calling-in suspicious vehicles, fly tippers, hare coursers or even foxes that they see out on their rides or even showed an interest in the estate by offering their services as ‘beaters’ during the winter etc etc then a whole raft of opportunity could be opened up.

In all fairness, the local horse riders are even more arrogant than the local mtb’ers 😀
    I did feel a bit hypercritical one day when I cantered up on my horse to a horse rider who was tresspassing on a ‘conservation strip’ and reminded them that there is no public right of way there 😀 Although I did make sure I was riding on the edge of the corn field lol!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

[quote]You’ll get pecked to death by a baby robin [/quote]

bajsyckel

To go back to the OP, if you want to establish the legal status of a track in England or Wales, all ROW are on the maps of every county council. These may be online or at held in an office where you need to request a look. Known as the definitive map and statement.

Not quite so straightforward are routes or areas with permissive access, which is usually at the discretion of owner or manager, but may be “enforced” by the likes of natural England if access is being subsidised under a stewardship scheme, for example. There are other routes where use may be tolerated, though rarely encouraged. Then you have Forestry Commission land which is all ok, though may be subject to some guidance etc.

In short, if you want to know, find the definitive map and statement, if that doesn’t help, ask the landowner or manager (if you know), or someone on a local access forum for help finding out. It’s not always possible to be sure, though I’d far rather all users went about their ways considerately for all concerned, including the state of the route, rather than simply seeing it as an issue of legality (which as others have suggested is generally a totally ibollocksed system of legislation that is unfit for current and future purposes).

edit

All the PROW are clearly marked

This is neither true of ordnance survey maps, nor on the ground.

themoodster
    Free Member

bajsyckel – Member
    All the PROW are clearly marked

This is neither true of ordnance survey maps, nor on the ground

This!

robsoctane
    Free Member

or even showed an interest in the estate by offering their services as ‘beaters’ during the winter etc etc then a whole raft of opportunity could be opened up.

Can I ask, how is beating a service? I could understand if you were to say clearing or something similar. I’ve done some beating in my time and it only serviced rich, fat Americans who want to shoot pheasants.

stanleigh
    Free Member

This is the joy of night riding , no walkers or horses to upset. MOD land however…….

ricdiggle
    Free Member

I have to admit that I’m a bit of a stickler too. I only ride bridleways and other legal areas on my bike, despite this meaning I miss out on some good stuff in my local area. It has meant that I’ve search OS maps, google earth and i study local strava users habits very closely. In most ways I’m happy with my anal retentiveness in terms of law abiding as I can now, after several months, pick out some great routes in my local area.
    However, reading threads like this, I’m tempted to ride of the incredible looking trails I know are there from walking my dog. Hmmmm.

crosshair
    Free Member

Can I ask, how is beating a service? I could understand if you were to say clearing or something similar. I’ve done some beating in my time and it only serviced rich, fat Americans who want to shoot pheasants.

Because younger, fit, able beaters are at a premium and most estates are glad of a couple of fresh new faces showing an interest each year. My point is, by both respecting and engaging with the estates existing activities, you get an ‘in’ that could open up countless oportunities.

johnj2000
    Free Member

*resists childish joke about beating someone*

I had a ride out of Newbury yesterday with the Trail Break people on one of thier Trail Ride series. No idea who owned the land but there was some fun singletrack sections. I am gong to do as many of these as I can next year if they are all as good as the Newbury route. No snipers, marked route, and friendly dog walkers.

I agree with a lot of what crosshair is saying, if I was single, childless, and had free time in abundance I would quite happily whack a few trees to please a bunch of brain dead Americans in return for some lovely riding.

philfive
    Free Member

I have been told from a county ranger that footpath are just a proven right of way for pedestrians, it doesn’t say that other users can’t use the route. As long as there aren’t any “no cycling” signs hen you shouldbe ok. The landowner or his ban can still ask you to leave though.

brooess
    Free Member

Crosshair brings a mature and educated point of view to this debate.

I don’t see why we can’t respect the request to leave footpaths alone for walkers to enjoy in peace and quiet. We don’t HAVE to ride everywhere just because we want to. There’s more than enough riding on bridleways, trail centres, etc

We don’t like drivers to have no respect for our desire to ride safely, so why do we think we can ride where and when we like with no respect for walkers desire to walk peacefully and safely?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“there’s plenty of legitimate places to ride”

No there isn’t. All we ask for is legitimacy to ride where others walk. If you put up warnings about shooting during shooting season then I’m happy to avoid your place of work along with all the ramblers.

“Why not try actually asking the land-owner???”

Not accessible mostly. Often very rude too. Every enquiry I have made, no matter how civil, has been met with negativity supported by and argument about their Rights (to deny access).

History supports the view that Landowners in England, in the main, do not want to share. Recreational users are merely a tolerated nuisance.

crazy-legs

I also find that at night, people think they can go wherever they like because there’s less chance of getting caught.

While there may be fewer people around to see it, I find that having 2000 lumens mounted on me is a bit of a giveaway that I’m there!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Daft question about Singletrack.’ is closed to new replies.