Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Daft fork set up …Reba's 2012
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Just bought some new forks this week, Reba 120mm 2012. Set up sag etc , now on first ride seemed ok maybe just needed a tad more psi inside so adjusted that by 5 psi neg/pos chambers.

Todays ride through singletrack riding quickly i found the bike locking up brakes too easily especially on the back and losing front wheel grip on tight turns at speed with some diving of the forks under braking/cornering. It rides totally different to my old forks which i just set up and were able to batter through most things with no weird feeling from the front end.They do weigh a fair bit lighter than my old forks is it just getting used to a lighter front end?

Can anyone explain what i am doing wrong in set up, Dual Airs by the way i weigh 95kg with 105psi Pos and 95psi Neg , rebound nearer to the slow end of things.

mboy
    Free Member

Back the rebound off a touch (sounds like they’re packing down), up the positive (and negative pressure so it matches) for your weight. 105 in the positive sounds very low for your weight to me…

andyl
    Free Member

different forks but on my revs I use 120psi and I am about 85kg + kit.

GW
    Free Member

I’m slightly lighter than you and run more like 155/150psi with 100mm rebas on a DJ hardtail (this is my xc bike too)
    (I’m a DHer and like a firm fork for jumping) less psi and they wallow in the mid stroke, dive and blo through their travel far too easily.
    IME moco damped rs forks can’t work well with slow rebound.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

More pressure! I’m 94kg and run 120 in neg and pos.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Cheers will give it a go, its just i usually take no notice of charts when setting up forks just the actual sag.

Mboy…when you say back off do you mean slower(turtle) or rabbit(faster)?

RustySpanner

Another 90kg rider here.
    Usually run about 125 psi pos & neg.

As to rebound damping, I turn it all the way off (toward the hare/rabbit) then just add one turn (toward the tortoise/turtle) 😀

Works fine.

Northwind

Infinite monkey it- just keep fannying about til it feels better. There’s no one right setting for suspension, lots of wrong ones mind, but experimenting is good.

That said, you’re using less air than me and you weigh about 30kg more, so personally I’d start there. I tend to run a fair bit less negative than positive in dual-airs, costs you small bump compliance but makes them more supportive.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok thanks , i used to run my last Fox forks at mid rebound with 95-100psi in the air chamber seemed to be fine,obviously a bit of a guessing game it just felt really different on todays ride.

billyboulders
    Free Member

What bike are they on?

(Not really any help to your post so slight hi-jack I suppose) After years of coil forks I have a new pair of Rev. dual air and I am finding I need pressures way below the recommended to get them to “feel” right. My frame is a light Ti hardtail and I am thinking frame weight must have some influence, i.e. all in weight of “man and machine” (as opposed to just rider weight)

Northwind

A tiny wee bit. But not that much, not really relevant. TBH, Rockshox recommendations are almost always cobblers.

andyl
    Free Member

frame weight won’t have much effect as the weight is split between the two wheels and also weight distribution.

I go on sag and feel.

mboy
    Free Member

More rebound you put on, the slower the fork is. So back the rebound off for a faster fork.

FWIW seem to remember I’m at 110/100 in my 120mm Reba, rebound set just slightly slower than half way through its adjustment, and I’m about 73kg.

You NEED quite a bit more air!

Also VERY important to make sure there’s zero pressure in the negative chamber before fettling, anything in the negative can throw the positive out greatly whilst you’re setting up. My mate couldn’t get more than 75mm out of his 100mm SID’s until I showed him he needed to release all the negative pressure first. Suddenly the fork extended another 25mm!

Oh and at 95kg, you probably want to wind on some low speed compression damping too to help the fork out against diving under braking.

bigbloke
    Free Member

so everytime i adjust the positive i have to release the negative completely am i correct?

I did set up positive first but since then have adjusted both together, so maybe i been doing it wrong. Bloody pain 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Daft fork set up …Reba's 2012’ is closed to new replies.