Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Dads/Mums and Kids ride – Saturday 14th – Burrs Country Park, Bury
  • Harry_the_Spider

Anyone fancy joining coming along? Me and Binners and our offspring are going for a thrash round Burrs for an hour or so on Saturday morning.

My kids are 5 and 7 and will both be out on new bikes for the first time, so it won’t be anything more taxing than a couple of laps for them.

I’ll be taking my bike also in case my daughter can ride faster than I can run.

Burrs Country Park, Bury. 10:00am by the big chimney and huge stainless steel mousetrap.

http://www.bury.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=2770&p=0

Importantly it has…

Free parking.
    Toilets.
    Indoor café that does chips.
    Flat wide trails.
    A mini assault course.
    Passing steam trains.
    Ducks.

binners

All we need is chips really. As last weeks MNPR proved… chips make the world a better place

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FK0DZSjfEM[/video]

dazh

I could well be up for this if my Mrs hasn’t already booked up the weekend. I will find out and come back. I suspect the kids will be more interested in the assault course than riding bikes…

I’ll be taking my bike also in case my daughter can ride faster than I can run.

Careful. Last time I did this I ended up with busted ribs after falling off a skate ramp.

scaled
    Free Member

Count me in, not sure if the Mrs will come, she’s been having trouble pedaling with the bump getting in the way.

Will bring bread for ducks.

Bregante

We’d be up for this but my daughter has a cross country race on Saturday.

dazh

Looks like we’re in. Surprisingly the kids actually want to ride their bikes instead of watching stampy minecraft videos on youtube. The Mrs wants to know if this is a dad’s only do or if she can come too (I think she’s looking for an excuse to stay at home with a cup of tea!)?

Guess I’d better go and sort out the kid’s bikes. Like I need more bike maintenance to do.

Harry_the_Spider

The Mrs wants to know if this is a dad’s only do or if she can come too

In true MNPR tradition there are no rules.

10:00am Burrs Country Park (by the big chimney)
    Bring money for chips

gonzy
    Free Member

yeah i’ll be up for that

binners – your greggs fatwa has now been lifted!! 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

this still happening chaps?

Harry_the_Spider

We’re going. Kids are all revved up and ready.

gonzy
    Free Member

excellent! see you there! 😀

Harry_the_Spider

How old are yours?

gonzy
    Free Member

my boy is 7. the other 2 are a bit too small to be riding yet

dazh

We’re still in. Still haven’t sorted the bikes out yet though so this is on the assumption that they’re working and just need the tyres inflating. If by some chance we’re not there you can assume that my minimal mechanical ability has fallen short in some respect.

binners

My bikes is in the same state it was in when I chucked it in the shed, caked in filth after the Monday Night Pub Ride. I haven’t even looked at the kids bikes. Seeing as I recently built the eldest ones, theres bound to be something wrong with it.

I really should check all this tonight. However, its a mates birthday, so I’m going out straight to the pub instead.

What could possibly go wrong? See you in the morning folks 😀

Harry_the_Spider

I have to adjust the seat heights as neither of the bikes is set up for their new riders, but I’ll do that when I get there. Other than that I have to transfer the bell to the new bike and remove the kick stand that it came with as it weighs more than a grand piano.

I’m thinking of bringing my CX as it hasn’t moved in 14 months. This is subject to it not being seized to the extent that I can’t get it out of the shed.

gonzy
    Free Member

my road bike is caked in road salt and other shit it picks up from the roads of manchester. plus its got spd’s and i cant be bothered sticking my spd shoes on
    the full sus is clean and sporting a new n/w chainring so i’ll be bringing that instead. you all can either gaze at it awe or laugh at it for being a 26er! 😀
    the boys bike is fine i think but i’ll give it a once over tonight to be sure.

it’ll be nice to put faces to names of some fellow STWers.

dazh

Bugger I hadn’t even got as far as thinking about my bike. The singlespeed has collapsed forks after the seals blew on Monday night, the full-susser is missing the handlebars, brakes, gears and pedals, the 29er needs new headset bearings fitting, and the commuter/cx needs new brake pads. The only bike I have that doesn’t require any work before tomorrow morning is the posh carbon road bike. Looks like a 6am bike maintenance frenzy with a hangover might be required tomorrow.

it’ll be nice to put faces to names of some fellow STWers

I’d wait til you see us before using the word ‘nice’ 🙂 Especially on a Saturday morning.

Harry_the_Spider

Daz, it doesn’t really matter. The place isn’t that big, the route is circular and everything is in line of sight. I may end up running round it if my daughter is a bit wobbly on the new bike.

dazh

Ah right. The posh road bike will be a bit overkill then 🙂

Now if only I had a bmx….

binners

Daz – in total, how many knackered bikes do you presently own? And how many working ones?

gonzy
    Free Member

i sense we may see some sort of Frankenbike appear with Dazh! 😛

Bregante

The place isn’t that big, the route is circular and everything is in line of sight.

And there’s a pub! This has the makings of a SMPR (Saturday Morning Pub Ride)

dazh

Daz – in total, how many knackered bikes do you presently own? And how many working ones?

Current tally is..
    working: 1
    Almost working but requiring work: 3
    In parts spread around the garage: 2
    Probably working but needs checking (including kids bikes): 3

And there’s a pub!

Now we’re talking. What time does it open?

binners

There is indeed a pub. The Brown Cow. I reckon it’ll be open at 12.

We could always just take some cans of special brew and some alcopops for the kids

Harry_the_Spider

9 kids
    6 adults
    3 miles ish for the quicker ones
    numerous crashes
    plenty of cakes and chips

binners

To be fair, we’ve had shorter Monday Night Pub Rides 😀

Good fun that! Hopefully there will be plenty more opportunites with the spring just around the corner. Binnerette number 1 was probably pushing her luck seeing as she only took her wrist out of a splint yesterday. But chips and a jam donut soon perked her back up

I’m reckoning mini gonzy is the next Steve Peat! He was flying on theat downhill bit! 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

was a good day out and a nice opportunity to meet some fellow STWers.

I’m reckoning mini gonzy is the next Steve Peat!

thanks Binners!
    he even surprised me with how confident he is on the bike considering he’s only been riding without the stabilisers for a few months! 😀
    i’m already on the lookout for a mini mtb for him….at this rate he’ll be ready for Bike Park Wales! 😯

Harry_the_Spider

i’m already on the lookout for a mini mtb for him

My lad had his first outing on his Carrera Blast on Saturday. I like it, and more importantly he likes it.

binners

Both the binnerettes were on Blasts in 20″ and 24″ flavours. Welcome to a new world of upgrade-itus. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Damn Missed this thread
    I would be up for one of these but doing them on a Sunday would help for me

Phillips park by the velodrome is pretty much kids friendly…not sure about chips mind.

Harry_the_Spider

You can get chips in the Velodrome.

Junkyard
    Free Member

where the kids can watch us all be the awezomes on BMX bikes?
    I will resurrect a thread later in the year

I am there this Friday though with my kids if anyone fancies a half term bimble?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Dads/Mums and Kids ride – Saturday 14th – Burrs Country Park, Bury’ is closed to new replies.