Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • DAB Radio for the kitchen?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Something cheap and cheerful, that doesn’t sound too horrible. Any suggestions?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought one of these…

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technika-dab129idv-dab-radio-with-ipod-docking/212-1033.prd?skuId=212-1033&fromRV=true

…for 20quid from tesco outlet on ebay. i’m quite fussy about sound but its pretty good. mind you best bit was that it came scratched, i called tesco and they refunded my cash and just told me to dispose of it… so i did, its in my workshop!

ricersounds have some cheap ones with decent reviews as well.

conversely my wife has a fancy leather retro roberts thing, cost silly cash and i think it sounds like shite. but she bought it because it looked nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Phone & Charger on wifi

Pieface

I bought the non docking station version of the Tesco DAB radio. Its very plasticky but meets your criteria of cheap and cheerful, about £20 in store i think a few years ago.

hora
    Free Member

I bought mrsHora a Pure One. My bestmate bought his missus a Pure One.

Perfect.

jamj1974

Our Pure has been fantastic.

will
    Free Member

I just got an Argos Value one for £17, down from £24. Got to say i’m impressed and not quite sure what I did before DAB!

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 to just using a phone + wifi, or get a dock if you want better sound.

jekkyl

TuneIn radio app on your phone through house wifi, tons of free to air stations, thousands more than you’d get with a DAB and pick up some half decent speakers or a dock.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what about if your wife or kids wants to listen to the radio in the kitchen and your away out with your phone.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Got a cheapo own-brand one from Asda a while ago – mono, but instead of mixing L + R from a stereo signal it just plays the R channel . . . so not ideal for listening to music, or chat shows where the presenter is on the L and the guest is on the R.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

+2 phone and tunein pro app. Rewind when you miss something!

Could use your laptop too of course.

footstomper
    Free Member

Radio

Bought one of these just before christmas for use in my kitchen, I was very pleased with both the looks & sound 😀

sadexpunk

I just looked into this and really fancied a pure. The couple I were interested in would have come out at over a ton including chargepak tho. In the end I followed advice from here and picked up a half price Red radio from sainsburys. £30 instead of 60 which does the job just fine.

Still lust after one of those pures tho, just can’t justify the cost. Or afford it to be honest :-/

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all, some good advice / thought food there! I definitely want a radio, something I can just turn on and there’s music there – gonna have a look at Tesco tonight I think.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Pure One. Mine is about 18 months old and the other day the power adaptor stopped working but they have a 2 year warranty. Tried the adaptor on another Pure radio, nothing. Tried the good power adaptor on the original radio, all good. Called Pure and they said a new one would be in the post foc. I also said the aerial was a bit bent, no dramas they would stick one in the post too… 3 days later, new adaptor and aerial… Stuff like that makes me stay loyal to a company.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Bought the wife and I a John Lewis DAB radio http://www.johnlewis.com/231264324/Product.aspx

Annoyingly I’ve just noticed they have it reduced down to £99.99 from the £129.99 that I paid for it just before XMas 👿

However, it’s a bloody good bit of kit and I’m really pleased with it even if I’ve missed out on the reduced price.

Does DAB as well as iPod, Internet Radio and also any shared media servers you might have on your wireless network.

Good sound to, with two speakers, and a good quality bass. I’d recommend (especially at £100 – not that I’m bitter).

flyingmonkeycorps

Sat listening to Marc Riley on one of these right now. Cheers guys!

sadexpunk

good move. the radio and marc riley 😉

Cougar

what about if your wife or kids wants to listen to the radio in the kitchen and your away out with your phone.

Sucks to be them. Don’t they have a phone between them?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

We have a Sony one on the kitchen which I got as a gift. Nice bit of kit but was expensive I believe a £100

CountZero

Sadexpunk, pleased the info helped, I’m going to get one myself, for work. The Pure One Mi is just too tinny sounding; alright to stick in a bag if you’re travelling around, but otherwise not brilliant. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘DAB Radio for the kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.