Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cyclocross Tyres
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Hopefully my new bike is waiting for me in my LBS and if so I’ll be entering my first race on Sunday and completing the rest of the season in the Wessex league. Courses are mainly grass playing fields with some twisty single tracks through wooded areas.

Weather is looking good so conditions will be fine, but what do all you racers do when the conditions change? Do you run an all round tyre or change to suit the conditions of the day? If the latter then what’s good and what’s not so good?

I am a complete novice to racing and cyclocross bikes. Think the bike is coming shod with Vittoria Cross XM Pros.

hammerite
    Free Member

In conditions like we have at the moment it’s Challenge Griffo open tubulars (basically a clincher!). If it’s muddy Schwalbe CX Pro, jury is out on the CX Pro though, not sure about them.

Griffos are excellent though.

nomakoman
    Free Member

those vittoria’s are cracking tyres…..though if you can get some old green michelin mud’s then you’re on to something!

dobo
    Free Member

mich mud 2 all round or kenda sb8 for dry fast duties, land cruisers for training/commuting/riding

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

So are 30mm CX Pros only good for mud or will the be fine for a grassy field on Sunday? I’m planning on replacing the 38mm marathon cross tyres on the bike at the moment which i’m guessing are a little heavy.

h4muf
    Free Member

I use CX pro’s all year round,techie peak district,HTN,commuting,everything.Can’t fault them tbh.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m planning on replacing the 38mm marathon cross tyres on the bike at the moment which i’m guessing are a little heavy.

and rubbish.

unless its bone dry then any mud style tyre is fine for cross, i use Mud2’s. Had some CinderX on for a bit but as soon as there was any mud or even damp grass, on your arse before you can blink.

hammerite
    Free Member

Agree with the others, CX pros will be fine for general use. I just use something less nobbly for good conditions.

ourmaninthenorth

First race 2 weeks ago was on rather worn Conti Speedkings. Fast as on the dry stuff – it was the hot weekend – but sketchy on the damp bits.

CX Pros going on for next race on Sunday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Tyres’ is closed to new replies.