• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cyclocross tubular or tubeless?
  • flattyre
    Free Member

Can’t decide which way to go…considering chinese carbon tubular or stans ironcross

Mainly for racing next winter but would also like to use for normal rides in the woods

Have tried tubeless and couldn’t get the pressures low enough without burping….but this was with non-tubeless rims.

Never tried tubular – is it possible to deal with a puncture on a normal ride?

eddie11
    Free Member

Racing? Tubular.

Normal rides? Tubes

Can only speak for mountain bikes on tubeless and I’ve had some very very good experiences and very bad. Nothing inbetween so still not sure where I stand on it.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Tubular all the way for cross racing

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Based purely on my housemate experience tubeless is terrible for cross unless you have tubeless specific rims. Even running 60psi to he managed to cut a hole in the side wall when he hit a root.

Equally I saw someone on the 3pcx blow his tyre up on a set of iron cross wheels because he was using non-tubeless tyres (land cruisers) and ridiculous pressures.

If you are using a tubeless tyre on your tubeless rim it might be ok, lowest a guy in the club runs them is 40psi I think and he burps occasionally.

Id vote tubular for racing, but clinchers (non-tubeless) for standard riding.

schmiken

Tubular for racing.

flattyre
    Free Member

Thanks all, tubular it is then.

Minimum I have managed to get away with is 40psi at rear tubeless.

Is there any hope for fixing a tubular tyre on a ride?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Apparently some people put latex solution in tubs. Not tried it myself.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

If cost no issue then tubular.

If cost is an issue then tubeless. Rode a full season last year on tubeless (ghetto) and only had one puncture that did not seal. It was actually an issue with the tape on the rim (bead pushed it to the side causing it to lose its seal) rather than the tyre or the sealant.

Previous three seasons on tubes had an average of three punctures in races.

Regards

gears_suck
    Free Member

I wouldn’t dream of trying to fix a puncture during a cross race. Completely pointless.
    That’s why you take a spare set of wheels and leave them in the pit. Hopefully, your support will be fixing that just in case you get another in the same wheel.

plus-one

Ran tubeless for 3 years at cx.. 2 minor burp incidents and one torn sidewall .. Both burp incidents I nursed to pits and borrowed track pump 🙂

Run 25-28 psi front

30 psi rear..

Ultegra tubeless wheels and now on iron cross and no issues.. Reckon tubeless rims are the key

mrblobby
    Free Member

That’s why you take a spare set of wheels and leave them in the pit. Hopefully, your support will be fixing that just in case you get another in the same wheel.

Support? 🙂

crispycross
    Free Member

One more vote for tubs for racing, tubes fro riding around and training.
    For the road, you can use tub tape and the higher pressures hold the tyre on, so you can change a tub out on a ride. For cross, the thing should be glued on so well it’s a swine to get off. Takes me about 15-20 mins to unstick a cross tub. Fixing flats with tubs is a pain. If it’s a pinhole, then 1/2 a teaspoon of latex will fix it. More than that and you need to send it off for repair (unless you fancy unpicking the stitching yourself).

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is there any hope for fixing a tubular tyre on a ride?

The latex injection cans you can use apparently can make such a mess of the tub that fixing it subsequently becomes impossible.

There are a couple of guys you can post your tubs to who will then repair them and return them good as new (save for the tread of course) so not using latex to quickly fix them means running tubs can still be economical (or at least less financially ruinous than it might otherwise be).

flattyre
    Free Member

I ordered tubular ones today. Came close to tubeless rims but just wasn’t 100% sure about the burping.

I wouldn’t try to fix a puncture in a race but like the idea of making the most of the decent wheels by using them for other rides. Plus be good to practice on same setup as race, especially whilst I get used to them and find the right pressures.

Thanks for advice on fixing. I thought I may be able to inject some sealant in but sounds like that might be a no go.

MikeWW
    Free Member

You will also want to look at running low pressure when its slippy
    I do it by feel but probably around 20 psi or so. Just enough to stop the rim dinging too badly

aP
    Free Member

when I used to ride with Tufo tubs, I just added a spoonful of stans once installed. I’m not likely to do that with the Dugast that herself bought me end of last year, and I’ve just had glued on to the Nemesis on record hubs that I’m going to go home and stroke…

oliverracing

I have had a decent amount of success with tubeless (bodged) – but took a bit of care setting it up and do very occasionally have to re-inflate due to burping. I will also admit that last ride I tore a 5mm gash in my sidewall, but looking at the rocks I went down I’m surprised I didn’t do worse damage and I think a tubed or tubular setup would have done the same!!

Sam

Tubulars for racing. Clinchers for training and to use as spare wheels at races.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross tubular or tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.