Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • cyclocross road derailleur mod
  • jono84
    Free Member

So I recently found I can add more tension to my lower pullys on my road derailleur by removing the tension spring and moving it one space round into a secondry pre drilled hole, fairly simple to do but i got thinking …..would I be able to drill a 3rd hole to add even more tension ? Has anyone tried this? And what would the downsides be to too much tension ? I presume wear would be the major one ?

IHN

The question is; why?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm, yup Why?

Are you experiencing shifting issues?
    Or
    Drops?

jono84
    Free Member

If im totally honest im pre empting chain drops/ rattling about, I have a clutch mech on my mtb an I like the way it eliminates all the rattling about down hill and when the mech gets cloged up with grass it allows me to carry on riding for longer until I can find somewhere to clear it all out , curiosity led me to asking

large418
    Free Member

you could end up with the end of the spring coming out of the new hole as it is under too much tension – then you lose the rear mech springiness altogether. Happened to me with an unmodified rear mech.

I would be more tempted to get a narrow/wide chainring and go 1×10, that way the chain is shorter and less likely to rattle.
    (It’s what I have done and with the shorter chain I’ve now done 4 races and not dropped a chain)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘cyclocross road derailleur mod’ is closed to new replies.