Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cyclocross bikes on Cycle to Work.
  • biking_jk
    Free Member

Hi,

Can anyone advise on Cyclo cross bikes. I am looking predominently to use for commuting, but am also looking at doing some races next year.

I need to be able to fit decent mudguards, and I am looking at buying new through cycle to work.

What do you think, how much money should be spent as I need to apply for vouchers up to £1000.

Cheers,

Jim

younggeoff

Cotic X weekday build £1k on the nose

AlasdairMc

Will Cotic absorb the VAT increase in January as this may impact the £1k figure?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Good point, Cotic might not have the ability to absorb vat increase, maybe if they’re not selling many it might not be worth it, though it must make sense to write off the £25 or whatever to get sub £1000.

Probably think larger companies would do almost a “loss leader” to get a bike under the £1k mark (like mark-up wouldn’t cover a lot of that anyway…).

Suppose the obvious other one is the venerable Kona Jake, not sure what the pricing is like these days, mines nice though.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the Genesis Vapour

geoffj

Isn’t the >X< more of a head down arse in the air race bike rather than a mountain biker doing road biking kind of cx bike though?

Kona Jake, Specialized Tricross and Genesis Vapour are all worth considering and much of a muchness TBH

I’d second the Vapour though – mine’s great.

hopkinsgm

Kinesis Crosslight 5T? That’s what I got on bike to work last year…

G

scaredypants

I thought the benefits of c2w had been pretty much wiped out lately ?

neil853
    Free Member

Boardman CX pro. Had it about a year commuting 25 miles a day 3-4 days a week. Held up fine. Haven’t riden it much off road but when i have it seemed good.

AlasdairMc

Are there rack mounts on the Boardman? That was the only thing that is making me consider something else as the spec is fantastic.

traildog
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Scott I’m currently riding. I occasionally commute on it, but it’s mainly a race bike. They are very popular on the race circuit and they do a model under a grand. It has good clearance and handles extremely well. I know someone who races a Boardman and seems to do ok on it.

Racing and commuting on the same bike is exhausting, I did it for a season. Cleaning everything up can take a few days, even with a jet wash. If you’re considering racing a lot, then get two bikes. If you’re considering racing occasionally, it still might be worth getting another set of wheels.

traildog
    Free Member

Use clip on guards.

nedrapier

2 days with a jet wash?

That must use a lot of water.

nedrapier

Sorry, just been reading the jokes thread…

neil853
    Free Member

I have full mudguards on mine (SKS) so yes it has mudguard/rack mounts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

race with mudguards on = less cleaning 😛

traildog
    Free Member

Right, I know you’re joking but I will explain anyway as I’ve just been through this very thing this week.
    Cross racing takes place in winter, so you have limited daylight. A cross race is tiring and finally, a cross race takes up brownie points. Therefore, you can clean off the mud with a jet wash, but cleaning the chain, jockey wheels, cables etc etc. takes longer and doing all this can often take more than one evening. If you race on Sunday, getting a bike back together for the Monday commute can be exhausting. Anyway, it’s not that relevant to the question, other than if you’re not racing then I might argue a cross bike is not the best option to go with.

kelvin

Isn’t the >X< more of a head down arse in the air race bike rather than a mountain biker doing road biking kind of cx bike though?

No. It’s eminently practical and comfortable compared to the pure race bikes out there.

cy

>X< is pretty short as CX bikes go as it suited the testers better. We won’t be increasing >X< pricing for the VAT rise as we knew about it when we were figuring it all out. There will be some rises on the other kit that’s been at a given price for a while, but we’ll be looking more closely at it in December. >X< Weekday will definitely be staying at £1k.

kennyp
    Free Member

Just bought a Tricross and I love it.

floyd_england
    Free Member

Just got a Day One Alfine on C2W……a superb piece of kit, I’m very impressed!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Cube X-Race Comp. Looks well fast for a shade under a grand.

biking_jk
    Free Member

Blimey, thanks for all the responses.

How much is the Kenesis Cross light. I don’t rate clip on mud guards. I am actually swapping a full on road race bike to try get a something a bit more comfortable, but I am used to riding a arse up in the air bike. Although my bike is very comfy, if you get the set up they are great fun. But need something a little less flimsy.

I don’t have to spend a £1000 and the Cotic seems expensive for the kit you get on it compared to others.

Has the Genesis vapour got rack mounts etc. How much as I have to apply for vouchers?

Cheers,

Jim

Simon-E

2010 Kona Jake is going for around £600 now. Same frame as the Snake but with P2 steel fork and Tiagra triple.

Have been considering one for a while and never read anything bad about them. They seem to be used for everything – allrounder/winter hack, CX racing, commuting, panniered-up touring etc.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I just got 2010 kona dew drop. Not really a cross bike as a bit heavy and relaxed angles, but got BB7 disks for the commute.
    Spend the extra 400 on better wheels (I got hope with mavic open pro) sell the origional wheels to fund a carbon fork too if you want. Drops the weight a lot and would make it race ok.

disks are now allowed in x-racing.

guard and rack mounts and the disk is between the seat and chain stay so no problems with fouling the rack

Drac

I went got Kona Jake the Snake as nicely and you’ll get it for £1k.

biking_jk
    Free Member

Kona Jake the Snake or Kona Jake sounds a good option – although having a quick look on t’internet they don’t come with disc brake mounts…

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Vapour does have mounts for guards and racks.

tandemonium
    Free Member

Had a Spesh Tricross – great bike for commuting and occasional trip down gravel roads and tracks.

Just bought a CUBE X RACE COMP – £1000, 21 lb super fast and great on road & off. Much faster than the tricross. You could race on this no problems, a true cyclo cross bike, where as the tricross is more of a hybrid. This is a keeper for sure.

bakey

Bought an Uncle John a couple of months ago – lovely

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross bikes on Cycle to Work.’ is closed to new replies.