Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cyclo-cross brakeset?
  • aP
    Free Member

Last night discovered that the shimano canti’s on my bmc have sheared – I have a spair pair (just for now), but for the future any preference between:
    Tektro CR520
    TRP Euro-X alloy

jonathan
    Free Member

The Tektros are good – nicely adjustable, reasonable feel, they stop you well etc.

No experience of the TRPs I’m afriad.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got some TRP ones (well, they are branded 4ZA but same thing) and they are ACE! way better than the on-one branded ones or shimano LX i tried. The tekrto could be good purely for the easy to adjust pads but i find v-brake pads dont work well with canti’s so i wouldnt get them for that reason.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Those TRP ones are exactly the same looking as Froggleggs..

I’ve never had a drama with mine..

Coupled with

Stop me fine, and I’m no lightweight…. 😕

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

have the trp got any pad adjustability or are the just a simple pin like frogsleggs?

i’ve read some excellent comments about the tektros, how easy they are to set up and how well they perform. personally i’d go for those (or the 720 version which is even lighter) if the trp cannot be adjusted.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

both the wife and I have the Tektros (she has 520 I have 720) on our tourers. They are a doddle to set up and keep in tune.

aP
    Free Member

Looking a bit more, I think the TRP are like froglegs (no toe-in). I think I’ll give the tektro a whirl.
    Then I’ll finally be free of shimano 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

The trp is just anoth froggleg, it has adjustment… in the form of bending it with a big spanner :0) Well worth the minor faff for the perfomance of them tho.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

720s are £21 on CRC

aP
    Free Member

I did all that bending things with spanners in the 90s, I’m more into subtle-ty now (I have my other.5’s geological hammer for micro adjustment).
    Actually, if I wanted to beat myself up I could put the Mister Grumpy’s on it, but I’m not in the mood 😐

JoB
    Free Member

get the Tektros, all the power (sic) of the Froggies with joyful spannerless ease of adjustability

although deep down you *know* you want the white Frogglegs

aP
    Free Member

Thinking more about it, my bikes not made of blue painted timber, won’t match. 😛

colnagokid

aP- do you mean the tension pin has sheared? This happened to me, the little hole on the frame or forks wasnt deep enough for the pin to fit into fully-had to drill it out.
    Oh, by the way I have WHITE frogglegs now! 8)

aP
    Free Member

No, its the cable “washer” where you bolt the straddle cable. I think it was overtightened on original assembly as its never been right. I have a spare one on my old cx bike so will get that out from the loft.
    I’ve managed to get my arms free from the zip-tie JoB put round them earlier, I kind of like the carbon TRP ones 😯

smiffy

Stud mount beats post mount, otherwise little to choose.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The tektros are great, so easy to set up and adjust, no squealling and stop very well. Running with koolstop pads on my jake they are in a different league to the tekro oryx and richey cantis I tried before.

Never tried frogleggs

epicyclo

My Frogglegs squeal like mad. Must get round to using a big shifter on them for that fine adjustment. Saves me the weight of a bell though 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo-cross brakeset?’ is closed to new replies.