Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cyclist knocked down castlefield manchester.
  • inkster
    Free Member

Looking out of my flat window onto Castlefield roundabout at the bottom of Deansgate, cyclist lying on road for last 20 mins, ambulance just arrived.
    hit on cycle crossing on Chorlton Rd.

P**s is boiling right now, not just at the stupid F***ing driver but at the Moronic, cretinous, pathetic council for installing the worst, most dangerous and confusing cycle lanes at every entrance and exit to this roundabout.

Every bit of cycle access ‘improvement’ I see from Manchester City Council is just an accident waiting to happen. The worst thing is that I KNEW this was going to happen when they installed this particular crossing a couple of years back. Maybe the council felt that not enough cyclists have been killed injured on Manchester’s roads and thought they’d do something to up the body count.

**** you Manchester City council and **** you a thousand more times you useless piece of s**t.

inkster
    Free Member

Ambulance just left, Cyclist was lying on the road for a hour, Hope they were just being precautionary, looks like they had to get another ambulance with the correct stretcher, one that could be slipped under from both sides.

Hope he/she’s going to be o.k.

justatheory
    Free Member

Hope they’re okay. I ride that way often. The worst bit is heading towards Salford as traffic accessing Ellsmere St cuts straight across the lane. Most roads crossing the Manc Way have crap cycle lanes.

project
    Free Member

Nothing on the men website, healing vibes to the cyclist

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m so glad that i never have to ride that route ever again; the entire cycle infrastructure around that roundabout is horrendous and it was only a matter of time before this happened on that crossing part really. even the parts that are segregated bike lanes are shit; pedestrians walking along them instead of the adjacent footpath, council vehicles parked in them while they work on the road or the roundabout, sustrans chuggers trying to stop you in order to demand money from you, and unbelievable amount of RLJing cars and vans every single day etc etc…
    i hope that he/she isn’t too badly hurt, and i hope the relevant authorities look into improving safety on this part of the cycle network.

project
    Free Member

another cyclist was killed last night in north wales near wrexham, driver 22, failed to stop and drove off ,now arrested and in police custody.

acidchunks

Passed the spot on the way home, I stopped but the lass had plenty of help already, she was still conscious and talking but looked like she’d taken a knock to the head.

The cycle lanes on that round about are fairly crap, at that spot in particular. It really should be a give way to cyclists with a wider do not entre box to make it more obvious. Everytime I ride that way some berk in a car has stopped in the middle of the cycle lane instead of leaving a space.

There’s actually a nice quiet route to avoid the whole junction if you’re going from the chorlton road-deansgate sides. shared path over the bridge but most peds on it realise this and will give you room.

Google maps link

inkster
    Free Member

Update.

I spoke to the cyclist who had stayed with the rider who’d been hit. He told me the female rider in front of him had been hit crossing Chorlton Rd as the car on the inside lane had stopped for her but the car in the outer lane carried on straight into her. It seems she was concussed and cut about the head but no bones brokes. The guy I talked to had stayed with her for the hour, locked her bike up for her and followed the ambulance to the hospital. Well done him.

He said the car couldn’t have seen her, and as far as I know the police aren’t blaming the driver. Technically the marked cycle lane crossing both lanes has no preference to cyclists, though it is painted green with white dashes. As I inferred before, a complete accident waiting to happen as it confuses cyclists and drivers alike at a very busy and fast junction. drivers will often stop for cyclists even though they”re not obliged to, which on a dual carriageway is especially dangerous as the following cars are unlikely to stop………..

Exactly what happened in this case.

trailhound101

Bit OT but saw the advert for the new Jag tonight with all the macho imagery and final words: “now go out and rule the road”. No wonder the standard of driving is so crap and cycling is so scary and dangerous!!
    I cycle to work every day and am fed up of “United Kingdom of the Car” and cyclists are just in the way attitude.
    Hope the lady is ok.
    Think I’ll write to the advertising standards to see if ought can be done about aggressive car marketing!
    (Rant over)

mrchrispy

Stopped doing that route a while back, the cyclelanes are too slow and the light favour the cars and the road is shit. now take the footbridge over the mancway and do the back streets. much nicer.

nach
    Free Member

Ugh, that’s sounds like a dreadful situation and some truly bollocks infrastructure. Hope she’s okay.

The Curry Mile in Manchester is the most terrifying thing I’ve ever ridden, compared to Elephant and Castle or anything else I had to handle commuting in London or Nottingham. The condition of roads in Manchester is also shit in comparison to both.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^ Curry Mile is tame compared to Elephant & Castle IMO. I guess it depends which you have more experience of riding.

Anyway, glad rider ok & chapeau other rider for helping out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cyclist knocked down castlefield manchester.’ is closed to new replies.