Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cyclist awareness
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Here is a new advert.

Anyone else flinch at the end?

eddie11
    Free Member

i think its great

its a very sophistcated way of making a point that might get through to joe average whilst in front of corrie. And its such a pleasant relief to see national media being used to present the real issues faced and not trot out the daily-mail-all-cyclists-are-pavement-destroying-tax-dodging-granny-mugging-child-eaters.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Typical didn't indicate :roll:!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mansonsoul
    Free Member

I don't like it really, though it is very clever. It feels too cinematic, too unreal. I think it would be easy for drivers to just think, "Well, I'm never that distracted, I'm not a bank robber…"

brakes
    Free Member

I think it's good to see this kind of thing rammed down the throats of drivers
    the flipside, and what I'd like to see more of, is educating cyclists how to avoid getting into situations like this

andrewy

I think it's good that some attention is being given to cyclist safety. I do think though that we could do with some more realistic images of what happens when a cyclist is knocked off. I think most driver's image of a cyclist being knocked off is a Benny Hill style wobble and tumble into a bush, rather than the much more messy reality.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Based on the way that works the cyclist in the mirror should have been much much smaller!

Agree a 'more realistic situation' would have worked as well if not better…e.g someone driving to the supermarket, or the kids to school or to work. The things that were 'big' would just have been different.

woody2000

I was talking to my good lady about this t'other night. You just don't see this kind of advert on TV – loads for motorbikes & peds but not cyclists. That's a TfL ad so not likely to see it countrywide

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think most driver's image of a cyclist being knocked off is a Benny Hill style wobble and tumble into a bush, rather than the much more messy reality.

Agreed. And in a more general sense I think drivers are so desensitized to what they're actually doing when they're steering a ton of metal feet or inches from other drivers, cyclists or pedestrians that the potential consequences of their actions in general are lost on them.

Also I don't like the ad much, why bank robbers? Why not something more everyday that anyone can relate to? But it's better than nothing I guess.

blades2000
    Free Member

The advert it a little strange, I can see what they are trying to do but I am not sure bank robbers is the way to show it. Until car/van/bus/truck drivers experience what it is like to be passed so close or have someone pull out on you they will never understand.

tthew

The thing that struck me was the bank clerk who was told 'don't press that button'. Well fit.

splatz
    Free Member

I got cut up by two motorbikes who pulled out right in front of me last weekend…..Ba*^tards never looked or didn't see me!!

Then since I was going downhill and faster than them I caught them in traffic and I had the chance to give them the 'hairdryer' about the incident.

Motorbikers moan about this behaviour all the time when it happens to them but they didn't even apologise……just rode off.

Take care out there…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist awareness’ is closed to new replies.