Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cycling with young family in the Lake District?
  • on_the_rivet
    Free Member

I'm off to the Lake District on Saturday for a week and I'm looking for recommendations for places to cycle with a 6 year old and a 4 year old on a tagalong and/or likeabike. Had thought would try Whinlatter and Grizedale but not sure how suitable they are for young kids. If it's any sort of a guide we normally do the blue and green runs at Glentress without any problems.

PTR
    Free Member

There are some good relativly flat tracks near Consiton, along Yewdale, and alongside the lake towards Torver, pretty much an out and back route though.

trailmonkey

there are waymarked trails at Grizedale apart from the NFT. They're just fire roads. You can pick up maps of the blue/red/green routes as well as the NFT at the bike shop at the hub. Not sure that I'd take a 6 YO on the NFT personally.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Some nice out and back riding along the west edge of Windermere. Either going from High Wray or the car park just north of the ferry crossing point.

scruff
    Free Member

Theres a flat wheelchair access path t'other side of water from Keswick under Cat Bells- that might be OK riding from/back to Keswick.

grumm
    Free Member

Blue run at whinlatter is great fun, pretty short though – not done the blue at glentress to compare to but it's fairly straightforward, though with some fun berms/jumps.

geoffj

Have a look here: http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/index/visiting/outdoors/cycling.htm

I like the Coniston to Brantwood option.

There are more details of Ed-O's Western shore of lake Windermere option too.

Trekster

Blue at Whinlatter would be OK. No hills any bigger than wahts at GT.
    Many people ride Grizdale with tag alongs to. Bungy strap, peice of plastic conduit and rope to make a kiddy assist tow bar for 6yr old 🙂
    Nice ride from Keswick along the cycle path to Threlkeld. Old railway line from behind the swimming pool. Goes along the river bank so take your pond dipping gear.
    Very good facilities at both centres re cafe and loos. What GT will become or should have been

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm sure we'll find something suitable for us all amongst those routes

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah second that threlkeld railway line path – very scenic.

boxelder

The boardwalk sections at Grizedale aren't suitable and some of the 'jumps', berms and hairpins on the blue at W/latter may well be too much with a tag-along.
    The other trails in Grizedale are fine.
    Claife Shore on the nw shore of Windermere (head north from the car ferry)
    Around the back of Loweswater for a short ride.
    Around the back of Buttermere (being slightly cheeky and taking the lower FP instead of the BW)
    The side of Cat Bells near Keswick.
    The area around Crook (between Kendal and Windermere has quiet gated roads and BWs – can start at Wheelbase/Wilfs cafe)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cycling with young family in the Lake District?’ is closed to new replies.