Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cycling with a little one?
  • traceaa
    Free Member

Hi guys,

So, I’ve been thinking about attaching a child seat to my bike so that we can go for a short bike ride which we haven’t been able to go on since I was pregnant.

But we’ve also had to think about how we’re going to transport all of our little girls stuff around us without it being a nuisance.

We found this one: http://www.prams.net/sons-of-trade-satellite-sling , but I wasn’t sure if this was gonna be a pain to cycle with… and I’m a bit worried of wearing a normal rucksack and hitting the baby behind me.

Can anyone help out? Is the bag above a practical choice?

Thanks!

fatboyjon

I prefer to keep the weight on the bike and have used bar bags and front panniers.

Enjoy, getting out with the kids is awesome.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve used a trailer since our first born was about six months old. It has a boot to store all the baby-related crap, and is weatherproof. Issues are cost, and the width of the trailer can stop it getting through gates on some cycle paths.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We always used a cheap as chips rucksack for the wipes etc. That bag has gullible parent written all over it.

Get a weeride too !

warpcow
    Free Member

What Dunc said, although I use a rear-mounted Hamax. If you’re really worried about hitting the baby (which I don’t see happening without you or your bike being of weird dimensions) then maybe try a cheaper messenger bag that can be set to sit high up on your back.

cp

That bag has gullible parent written all over it.

this! Just use a small rucksack, does exactly the same and is probably a lot more comfortable and practical for use on the bike. Also infinitely cheaper.

Since having a sprog it’s given me some great business ideas – the amounts you can charge for ‘special’ stuff is amazing.

DezB
    Free Member

€100! For a bag for carrying nappies 😆 Now I’ve seen it all.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I have a similar problem, my little one in now four months, although he can just about sit up its not enough for a baby seat on a bike.

For the last month I have been going out with him in a sling (connector) on my front, he seems quite happy.

Moving forwards looking at a Yepp Mini that goes on the front of the bike, this seems like the best solution as you can still see what they are upto.

cinnamon_girl

No mention of the baby seat? Surely comfort and safety of a baby is more important than a naff-looking bag?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No mention of the baby seat?

Yes get a weeride !

smashit
    Free Member

Just stared using a Thule front seat with my daughter… she loves it. Front mounted seat means you can use any old rucksack or panniers, plus she enjoys the view more and its easier to chat and point at the sheep etc!!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just stared using a Thule front seat with my daughter… she loves it

Oh they must be newish, only Weeride did front seats 5 years ago!

Does it allow you to pedal normally as the Weeride required a slight knees out sideways approach.

superfli
    Free Member

You wouldn’t want to take a child much younger than 10-12 months in their own seat, due to neck strength and besides, getting a helmet to fit might be an issue.
    Younger than that, a trailer.

As said, a trailer has lots of space to carry gear, and a weeride up front allows a rucksack

scud
    Free Member

Another vote for Weeride, child in front of you so you can see them, and just a normal rucksack on, easy to fit too and weight of bike is more central, only trouble we had was my daughter seemed to find it really relaxing and would nearly always fall asleep!

chiefgrooveguru

Love the Weeride! Don’t underestimate how bumpy it is for them – they need good neck strength to be safe and to enjoy it, especially if they wear a helmet. 15 month old son gets very vocal about wanting to join me if I put my helmet on! The bigger one is now getting towed with a Trailgator – my old XC bike has become a child transporter!

smashit
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Just stared using a Thule front seat with my daughter… she loves it
    Oh they must be newish, only Weeride did front seats 5 years ago!

Does it allow you to pedal normally as the Weeride required a slight knees out sideways approach.

I looked at a few…. weeride, thule, ibert and Yepp and Bobike. The Thule was available in UK and fitted the limited space I had on the steerer tube on the MTB. Weeride was good, but most of the others I listed sit further forward closer to the stem and the turn with the handlebars. Lots of options now available all around £60-100. The Thule is nice though 😉

The pedalling is still a little knees-out, but fine for 1-2 hrs at a time.

smashit
    Free Member

Double post

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cycling with a little one?’ is closed to new replies.