Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • cycling with a cold?
  • FOG

I have a fairly annoying cold, not full man-flu but snotty nose etc., which has stopped me getting out all week. However I have an event on Sunday. Do I just need to MTFU and get on with it or is more rest necessary?

Mounty_73

Personally I rest up, then its gone quicker!

I would rest up, then see how you feel on Sunday. That whole ‘MTFU’ is just nonsense!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said for me, some say if the symptoms are only above your neck then it’s OK to ride.

Then again someone said the other day he had flu but did a 3hr road ride 🙄

poppa
    Free Member

For a cold that isn’t ‘too bad’ I still ride. In fact I find that the exertion/sweating often makes me feel better, even if I was a bit apprehensive beforehand. I probably wouldn’t go crazy though, that includes competetive racing, and I wouldn’t ride if I had more serious flu-like symptoms.

EDIT: I heard somewhere that over-exertion temporarily weakens your immunes system, which is probably not a good idea if you are already under the weather.

incognito
    Free Member

I did the london to brighton with a cold. I felt shit before and after but whilst I was riding I didn’t even notice it. something to do with the physical exertion I suppose.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If its a mild cold then go easy but I would prob still ride. If its a bad one and you feel really rough and/or has gone to your check I would rest up. I tried doing the Newnham 60 a few months ago with a cold that was starting to go and its the worst and longest one I think I have had for sometime. I felt like cr@p and gave up 1/2 way round as I puked up on the last climb 🙁

poppa
    Free Member

STW in sort-of-agreement shocker.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a google / search on here – it has been done many times. There is a rare link between hard exercise with a respiratory infection and sudden death in healthy adults. There is also a link with depressing your immune system

Gentle exercise is OK. do not do any hard exercise. My opinion.

hainman
    Free Member

i know its not the same thing but my dad worked with someone in the fire service who played 5 a side with a cold and dropped dead because it was in his chest and caused respritory problems.your health is more important than a cycle or anything else for that matter!!i have crohns disease which buggers up your immune system and when thats buggered you dont know whats hit you,you catch every bug thats going and take an eternity to heal!!be carefull!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘cycling with a cold?’ is closed to new replies.