• This topic has 49 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Cycling tribes (guardian content)
  • trailmonkey

the goat herder dropped all charges though didn’t he ?

crazy-legs

Elfin, that’s the thing though – to cyclists that piece is a witty and well-written insight into the (often unconscious) stereotyping that occurs within any group.

It’s a tongue in cheek piece that, if anything, reinforces the idea that we are all cyclists, in it together. It’s a gentle piss take, nothing more.

There’s a fine line between writings like that and stereotyping where it descends into prejudice.

[surf-mat, that’s a tad harsh on Elfin]

IanMunro
    Free Member

There has been an article about me published in the Guardian…
    The lonely hearts section doesn’t count 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

[surf-mat, that’s a tad harsh on Elfin

Legs – the 😉 shows clearly it’s a little piss take 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the goat herder dropped all charges though didn’t he ?

That’s a bit insulting. 🙁

Caprinine Organisation Technician is I think the correct term….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfin, that’s the thing though – to cyclists that piece is a witty and well-written insight into the (often unconscious) stereotyping that occurs within any group.

It’s a tongue in cheek piece that, if anything, reinforces the idea that we are all cyclists, in it together. It’s a gentle piss take, nothing more.

Crazy-legs: I appreciate that. I certainly din’t think it was an offensive article. Obviously relates to the NYC scene, so some of the cultural references are lost over here, but none the worse for that alone.

As I’ve sad; I just thought it was little more than a re-hashing of old ideas, and by nature possibly a little tired now.

Ok. Imagine if this had been a piece about ooh I dunno, say Ski-ing. Or Angling. Or whatever. Now, imagine you’re ‘outside’ of that ‘world’. Would you ‘get’ all the cultural references and in-jokes? My point is, I found little outside of the in-jokes, to elevate that article beyond the mundane. That’s my opinion, and I’ve attempted to explain my reasoning. I appreciate others don’t share my point of view.

There’s a fine line between writings like that and stereotyping where it descends into prejudice.

Of course.

nedrapier

Funny, the guy has commented on lazy journalism in mainstream papers, eg here: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/12/genuine-article-reporting-on-fixed-gear.html, but I thought this was pretty lazy too. There are some original things in there, but the format is pretty old.

I really like his blog, and if I don’t read for I while, I’ll have a binge and read the posts I missed. Althought it’s heavily (completely)centred on cycling, most of his material is about fashions and subcultures and how fickle and contradictory people and their ideas are.

As has been pointed out, the actual activity or mechanical object could be different, it’s about how people choose to revolve around it (or choose bikes to revolve around somehting else) that creates the interest.

The fact that he ended up with a tried and tested format for this article to promote his book probably has more to do with editors’ knowledge of lazy readers than anything else.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My point is, I found little outside of the in-jokes, to elevate that article beyond the mundane.

A prime example of utterly meaningless drivel.

Not clever, not insightful, just drivel.

The article on the other hand, made many of us smile/laugh.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

is a bit silly and anal.

my ar5e!

Olly
    Free Member

While some Roadies do ride off-road as well, many are put off by the presence of distasteful things like mud, rocks and fun

love it.

We are hillbillies in Roadie art galleries.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cycling tribes (guardian content)’ is closed to new replies.