Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cycling training performance in the cold…?
  • Kryton57

I ALWAYS have issues with VO2max at this time of year, and I’m always doing them as this is the end of a cycle whereby my “season” starts late Feb/March.

After “failing” some turbo intervals today (I did, admittedly also have a hard weekend) at 7:30 AM and -1 degrees in the shed, I read this:

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/905/how-does-temperature-affect-your-performance

Maybe thats why I can’t sustain my VO2max…

I wonder if its worth warming up the shed first?

mrblobby
    Free Member

IME yes.

Usually start turbo sessions at room temp (~20C) and warm up for a bit before turning on fans or opening windows. I was finding that if the turbo room is too chilly and I get too cold before I start then it’s much more difficult to get going.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I used to go out training with a well known German ex pro roadie who was studying sports science at the time. He would go out riding with no gloves,overshoes or hat in -10 because the body had to work harder just to keep the core temperature constant which promoted fat loss. So I would suggest getting a heater for your shed. I read somewhere that the ideal temperature for cycling is 19 degrees which luckily is enough the exact temperature of my cellar where my turbo is situated.

scaredypants

So someone from Britain will cope with cold better than someone from Africa, although it’s more habituation than acclimation; it’s more behavioural than physiological

you know what they’re calling you, right ? 😉

FWIW, my brief experience of sub-zero turboing is that the struggle is to stay cool rather than keep warm. I admit it’s an odd balance as my skin feels freezing but there’s no way I’m turning off the fan.

I did wonder the other day – not sure how much less cooling a fan heater might offer if it’s set to some sort of gentle setting. That might keep you feeling more comfortable and the ongoing airflow might still be enough to allow you to cool yourself ??

Give it a go !

fifeandy
    Free Member

I can’t operate properly in the cold, legs just don’t work, and if I try to go really hard I spend the rest of the day coughing my lungs out.

On the flip side, on warm days in the mountains, when everyone else starts to melt, i’m just getting going properly!

Shred
    Free Member

And you are damaging your muscles if it is too cold:
    Velonews : Cold, bare legs make you dumb, not tough

mrblobby
    Free Member

On the flip side, on warm days in the mountains, when everyone else starts to melt, i’m just getting going properly!

You are me 🙂 Went to Greece last year and rode in 40C temps, really liked it, I think I’m part lizard.

philjunior
    Free Member

There’s an optimal temperature for performance. It’s above -1degC.

I’m not sure how much the reduced cooling from being stationary would affect this.

Kryton57

Not just me then. Over the last few week as I struggle I’m trying to find the common element, and it seems to be the temp.

My mancave is a breeze block built shed with a plastic corragated roof, so in the day it’ll be warmed by the sun and deteriorate in the evening. The issue is I have to Turbo either side of working hours unless I wfh and do that at lunchtime.

I do have an oil filled rad I could leave on, but because the mancave leaks like a sieve I’m reluctant to leave that on all night / day due to cost.

nathb
    Free Member

I did a crit in the sleet on Saturday – I did’t get anywhere near my max performance (75% if that). I was shivering for most of it. 😆

So yeah, I can see the cold having a huge influence on performance!

freeagent
    Free Member

My performance is well down in the winter, my lungs don’t like cold air and my legs just don’t have the same power as they do in the summer.

Kryton57

So advice on managing this? Each year my FTP high spots are May (end of winter training /on form) and August (race only with limited efforts from May).

I test in the winter and my doesn’t seem to lift FTP more than 2-5w, although this year I feel other benefits.

Is the cold limiting my ability to train “speciality” from Jan to March and how can I overcome it?

And a sub question to the last, how much does and oil filled rad cost to run for 3 months to keep a shed >7 degrees 😀

I think I’ll try a warm workout Thursday and see the difference.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It might save money long term by building a plastic greenhouse inside the shed, for the turbo and oil filled radiator. Or drape yourself in bubblewrap and old sheets. 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Move your turbo indoors?

Kryton57

Yeah right!

Kryton57

I stuck the oil filled rad for a couple of hours and just did 90 mins at 7 degrees according to my Garmin – its no where near that outside the mancave.

Its made a massive difference, I’ve had a good workout.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cycling training performance in the cold…?’ is closed to new replies.