Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cycling through Lancaster
  • simmy
    Free Member

I’m planning a trip to Kendal and will be approaching Lancaster along the A6 from the South.

My only experiences of Lancaster are driving through from the M6 and heading towards Morecambe which is through the one way system and heading over Greyhound Bridge which looks like a scary prospect on a bike.

I will be staying on the A6, so wondered if there’s a cycle path alongside or an alternative route ?

Google maps puts the route along the canal and I don’t know if that will be suitable for the road bike.

Superficial
    Free Member

The canal is OK but not that quick on a road bike – lots of interruptions / pubs. I’ve never found the one-way system to be THAT daunting on a road bike.

There’s the ‘Millenium’ pedestrian / cycle bridge over the Lune which would avoid the Greyhound bridge. Stick to the one-way system but turn left down Damside Street onto the Quay and over the bridge from there.

Lancaster – Morecambe is doable all on cycle path and is quite pleasant, but it would be a bit of a detour if you’re heading to Kendal. The Marine road would probably be nicer than the A6 though.

globalti
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride that Lancaster-Morecambe trail alone on a nice bike.

The A6 straight through the town is fine.

andylakes

Hi. I regularly do that ride. From the A6 go across the millennium bridge and on the greenway to Morecambe this is well lit and fine during the day. Along the prom then onto the canal. The canal path is OK for a road bike with a bit of care and if you follow it to Crag Bank outside Carnforth you can follow route 60 to Kendal
    This may help. My email is in my profile if you need more.

http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/GetAsset.aspx?id=fAAxADcANAA2AHwAfABUAHIAdQBlAHwAfAAwAHwA0

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cyclepath runs from the millennium bridge north and pops out on the A6 north of Caton.

Or you can jump off the path earlier than that at the narrow road bridge over the river Lune and head north via Halton and head towards the B6254, which is a much nicer road than the A6.

If you want to miss out the Lancaster traffic altogether then turn left at the Boot and Shoe pub after the uni and make your way via Aldcliffe to the start of the path. Bit wiggley though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cycling through Lancaster’ is closed to new replies.