Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycling Pyrenean Haute route or GR11
  • drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who had, or if anyone on the site has cycled either of these routes. I vaguely remember seeing an article about a father and son team who had done, I think the GR11, can't be sure.

Do you think you'd need to be super fit to do this? Or if any one knew of any resources about cycling this route. I've got the guides to both routes but was looking for any first hand experience?

Cheers in advance.

P

ebygomm
    Free Member

I've walked large sections of the GR11 route, I think it would be a lot of hike a bike

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Mmmm…I thought that may be the case, thanks. Do you think the payback would be worthwhile?

Edukator
    Free Member

Long sections off it are illegal on a bike. You can get dispensations for some bits if you apply but expect to get stopped by the Guardia in Ordessa. It will be a lot of hike a bike. When there are so many MTB routes why do a walking one?

ebygomm
    Free Member

No, don't think the payback would be worthwhile, a lot of the descents would be unrideable as well as the ascents. You'd be spoiling a great walk by having to carry a bike.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

All good points, I certainly didn't realise sections were illegal on a bike! I think that may have settled the argument in my mind, I'll stick to the original plan and walk a large chunk of it this summer, cheers for your help.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It's a great route. I'd love to go back and do the whole thing, my trip there was meant to be a point to point walk but didn't work out like that in the end.

GR11 trip

carlphillips
    Free Member

ive done the walkers haute route. loads of hike a bike and unrideable descents glacier crossings would make it hard work i reckon,

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

EBYGOMM

I was interested to read your trip report, the thing that really caught my attention, apart from the rather oozing wound, was your thoughts on the estimated times and distances in the guide book. Which guide was it you had and in retrospect how do you feel about the timings now?

P

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Pyrenean Haute route or GR11’ is closed to new replies.