Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Cycling Post Ankle Surgery
  • mccraque

I’ve had a grumbling achilles for a few years now, and seems to be getting worse. A surgeon has offered a calcaneal osteotomy – basically cutting a wedge of bone from the ankle, and a rotation forward to stop the achilles being aggravated by my prominent heel bone. (it’s insertional tendonitis/RC bursistus)

2 bolts would then hold it together. and remain there unless they become a problem.

Surgeon seems to think that I would be back on the bike after 6-8 weeks in a very light capacity, and then ramping it up from there.

The prospect, quite frankly, terrifies me. Especially as I can still function (albeit in discomfort). He’s quite blasé about it and describes it as a “simplish procedure”.

Anyone got experience of this injury or ankle ops? Should I tough it out? Is it just going to degenerate or just plateau at current pain levels?

I’ve already got a load of metal in my arm, and quite keen to avoid it in the ankle….unless it is a miracle cure!

white101

I broke my ankle early feb and was back riding by july, albeit very short rides. My main problem was losing the fitness, ankle has been fine since (6 screws and some plate). I hadn’t ridden through the winter till that point so I went almost 8 months without riding.
    Haven’t looked back since

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Post Ankle Surgery’ is closed to new replies.