Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cycling on the flat – why is it so hard?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Recently, I have swapped “lots-of-up-and-down” riding for longer 2-3 hour rides XC (hills plus flats). Coming from a roadie background, I find the flat sections really hard. I think it is looking at this bloody fat tyre in front of me, especially any short links on the roads. Plus getting the correct cadence, gearing right seems very tricky. Then I mentally switch off and have to catch myself and put some ummph/mini sprint back in. But riding a mtb on flat ground seems so boring! Got me thinking about a 29er yesterday!!

Always relieved when there is a hill to go up or down. But hate the flats. What is the best way to tackle them?

pjm84
    Free Member

Ask the roadie guy who was desperately trying to drop me last night.

D0NK

erm unless they are suitably wiggly the flat boring bits are just for linking up to the uppy downy bits, didn’t think you were supposed to enjoy them.

Mind you some people think the same of the uppy bits, weirdos!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

You’re my hero! 🙄

GW
    Free Member

learn to manual and stop worrying about how quickly you are going on dull sections

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

When you are on a road link it’s easy – flp into the top ring and try to ignore that bloody big wheel in front of your nose. But flat XC, I need to practice with correct gearing and cadence I guess. But seems such a slog.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

GW – how does a manual help. Is that just to have a bit of fun?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

You need a Wetronome to help you with your cadence 😕

Sorry, that’s the other forum 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Can I get an autograph?

weeksy

only if you can catch him 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

only if you can catch him

Good point!

*rings Mark Cavendish Valentino Rossi to ask for a favour*

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ah Mary – is that my team mate? ’tis a point though. I have a cadence monitor on my road bike so can just put my head down, watch the cadence and sit it out. I guess it’s the inefficiency of the big tire that is so annoying.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I frequent that other place under another name 8)

MTB is different. Just sit, spin and smile on those draggy joining sections. And think how quick you’ll be when you get on your skinny tyred road bike.

EDIT: BTW, I run a SuperTacky Swampthing in Winter on the front of my 34lb full susser. Now that is draggy 😥

GW
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

GW – how does a manual help. Is that just to have a bit of fun? Yes, difficult to comprehend as that may seem 😛

oh and simply switch “manual” for “wheelie” for boring uphill bits

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Always relieved when there is a hill to go up…

Wierdo

BigJohn

Just go half a mph slower and it’s twice as easy and more fun.

HermanShake
    Free Member

It’s psychologically harder, there’s nothing to look forward to. No battle up or reward down but it is still riding your bike (fun, no?). Change your approach and it will feel different.

Don’t think about oomph or cadence, just efficiency of movement and being smooth.

Or take up golf.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks all – GW, I am still trying to master manuals. I can bunnyhop small obstacles but haven’t got to grip with the full manual. It always looks so tempting when there is some mud or water to get through.

Rusty, I thought we were all weird!!

Herman – for sure, its still fun, the views always compensate!!

rOcKeTdOg

the OP is obviously a Grimpeur rather than a rouleur, i’m the opposite, rubbish uphill but can bomb along flat rolling roads, need to work on my climbing

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just look at the scenery if the trail is easy enough not to need cncentration

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but it’s a mental thing, a season of road races or again gangs should sort you out.

But you said you’re an ex roadie…so you’re probably doomed to your life of failure.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Riding yesterday, took a drink from my bladder on flat section through the woods, missed the root, over the handlebars into brambles and rocks and badly bruised and cut inner thigh. And no helmet!!!

Lesson – there is never a time not to concentrate!!! Not sure about the helmet – only second time without one in years and one near crash on the only really technical, fast bit and then a real one!!

BigJohn

and badly bruised and cut inner thigh. And no helmet!!!

You mean your willy got chopped off? Ouch!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

So funny i have been thinking the same for a few months.

I use to do a lot on the road when i was younger and then got into the MTB last spring, i could get my head round riding in the flat.

For me its just getting used to the reduced pace off road, its a bit like riding on the road into a headwind all the time, you just have to accept it and choose the right gear. Its part of te reason i am wanting to change to a 2×9 set up rather than 3×9, there are just so many un used gears in the 3×9 for me.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Get a single speed, then the flat bits are easy…….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cycling on the flat – why is it so hard?’ is closed to new replies.