• This topic has 34 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by trcpr.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cycling in the UK
  • andapx
    Free Member

Hello Everyone,

We’re a group of students doing research about cycling in the UK. Could you please spare 5 minutes to fill in a survey about your perception of certain bicycle brands and the overall bicycle market.

Click here for the survey

Thank you in advance.

Trimix
    Free Member

What are you going to do with the results ?

Who benefits ?

jekkyl

do i use my bike for chores? lol. that questionairre was a chore!

cinnamon_girl

Serious question – why should I? How about talking to cyclists in the real world, you know make some effort to engage with them rather than the lazy option of whacking a survey online believing you’ll receive some honest and useful responses.

Kids these days. 🙄

munrobiker
    Free Member

I did it. It was fine!

I don’t quite understand why you’ve all got so grumpy about it…

fifeandy
    Free Member

indeed, it does appear that some folks got out of wrong side of bed this morning. 🙄

SaxonRider

Done. It wasn’t so bad; indeed, the questions were fairly well phrased.

@cinnamon_girl: If it is a survey being undertaken for an undergraduate project, then I don’t think your criticism is warranted; if it is for a higher level of research, then I imagine the online survey is only one of a few data collection exercises. So again, I disagree with your comments.

plyphon
    Free Member

Serious question – why should I? How about talking to cyclists in the real world, you know make some effort to engage with them rather than the lazy option of whacking a survey online believing you’ll receive some honest and useful responses.

Kids these days.

Are you seriously moaning about surveys?

cinnamon_girl

Not grumpy guys, just don’t call this ‘research’. I’d be more inclined to help someone if they physically made an effort to stand around at a trail centre/cycle path/train stations/popular rights of way for some real world feedback.

IHN

andapx – as a non-patronising tip, you’ll do better if you explain exactly what research you are doing and what it’s for.

“We are a group of undergraduate students at Scrumpton University, and as part of our studies in Wheeled Transportation we’re looking to gather some information on how people travel around on wheels in the UK, blah blah blah…”

Anyway, I’ve done your survey

Sui
    Free Member

I’ve done it, quite simple really – though i’m not good with adjectives, this could have been easier as some of us are a bit fik innit.

seosamh77
    Free Member

done!

Trimix
    Free Member

Can we see the results please.

scotroutes

Simple enough survey. Some demographic stuff and some opinion about British Cycling and the possibility of BC selling bikes?

I liked the use of drag and drop for prioritising btw.

But yeah, a little more explanation of its purpose would have been polite.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Not grumpy guys, just don’t call this ‘research’. I’d be more inclined to help someone if they physically made an effort to stand around at a trail centre/cycle path/train stations/popular rights of way for some real world feedback.

Then you’d only get cyclists from a few select environments. Five forums will cover keen cyclists from pretty much every environment, then a day at a few places will cover the less enthusiastic cyclists too.

docrobster
    Free Member

Done. Pretty straightforward. Agree re comments suggesting a bit more explanation of the thinking behind it would be useful.
    How do we know they aren’t doing online and face to face research?

pocpoc
    Free Member

Done.
    At the moment I’m at work so distractions are always welcome.
    If you collared me in the car park about to head out on a ride I’d probably tell you to get lost, my riding time is limited and I want to make the most of it, not get cold filling out a questionnaire!

cinnamon_girl

It’s clearly bad form for the OP not to hang around and answer questions, really why should we use our time to help you when you’ve not actually made it clear what you’re hoping to achieve and whether British Cycling is sponsoring the survey. How will respondents benefit/potentially benefit from answering your questions?

If your survey is to be meaningful and objective then for a start you shouldn’t ask a person’s age nor salary. Just looks like another ‘marketing’ exercise to me.

Must try harder.

I’m oot.

jamiep
    Free Member

Completed. However, your University Research Ethics Committee will take a dim view of research participants not being offered the opportunity to see the results once available, which is a requirement

nealglover
    Free Member

…that questionairre was a chore!

Took less than 3 minutes

Massive chore 🙄

tthew

Just putting this here so it appears in my forum history. If andapx does the decent thing and responds to some of the points/questions raised, I’ll fill it in. If not, jog on!

plyphon
    Free Member

I mean, it was posted 2 hours ago.

I know most of us are bored middle managers in IT, for whom 2 hours is an eternity, but maybe give the dude a reasonable length of time to respond…!

chvck
    Free Member

If your survey is to be meaningful and objective then for a start you shouldn’t ask a person’s age nor salary. Just looks like another ‘marketing’ exercise to me.

I disagree with this, as you’ve pointed out we don’t know what the research is for. But say it’s for how different age groups perceive things then age is pretty relevant…

andapx
    Free Member

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to both look at the survey and give feedback on it.
    We are trying to assess the UK market for top-end components and are trying to focus on customers that are actively interested in cycling and thought BC is a key organisation within this market. This project is part of our course and we are not being sponsored or funded in any way to conduct it.

We have been interviewing people face-to-face all week but this was not very efficient which is why I decided to create an online version and ask on singletrack.

Age and gender are requested to see if we have a spread over all demographics and salary is an optional question for the same reason and for verifying trends of income distribution with cycling spending.

I will be able to post a link to the results once the survey is closed on Sunday evening. Thanks once again everyone!

andapx
    Free Member

Kids these days.

There is no direct benefit from carrying out the questionnaire but I hope that generating some information/data for the leisure/fitness cyclists around the world is some incentive. Also I will be posting the results as soon as the survey closes for those that are interested in them

situkun123
    Free Member

Done. The survey in general is fine, but why do you want to know people’s age? I don’t see how it is relevant, pal. 🙄

ampthill

I love the way that the first price bracket was upto £1500. I’d say that lumps alot of price brackets together.

Also the question about where you get your cycling imfo’ may be skewed by asking on a forum

I don’t mind spending time helping students. But I didn’t think it was that user friendly

ib381
    Free Member

Yeah, I agree with the fact that the first up to £1500 bracket is very wide and covers several price brackets but maybe the point was to look at how many people would buy bikes more expensive than that. Otherwise I thought the survey was ok.

andapx
    Free Member

ampthill – Member
    I love the way that the first price bracket was upto £1500. I’d say that lumps alot of price brackets together.

Also the question about where you get your cycling imfo’ may be skewed by asking on a forum

I don’t mind spending time helping students. But I didn’t think it was that user friendly

We are trying to get a better breakdown at the top end market as well as actively interested peoples opinion (hence the forum) on some brands. Any feedback on what made the survey user unfriendly would be very appreciated!

philjunior
    Free Member

I can’t believe the attitude of some people.

Good luck with your studies, I’ll complete this later on if only to show my distaste for some people’s “why should I” attitude.

Grumpy old gits these days!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Agree with the above. Really surprised by some of the hostility. A polite request from a group of students asking for some help with their project…about cycling, on a cycling forum..Did I miss something?!

All the best guys, I’ll get it done later on today.

mildbore

Done, just to fool people into thinking I’m not grumpy

andapx
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. We really appreciate it.

tthew

I’ll fill it in now, as that’s a more than reasonable response to by the OP. Good luck with it!

trcpr
    Free Member

Done. What number of responses are you hoping to get? (how many would make such a survey valid)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in the UK’ is closed to new replies.