Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycling in Leeds
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

rant

Why is it that there are no flipping cycle lanes in Leeds where you actually need them? The traffic was so bad around Sheepscar/Burmantofts this morning, it was solid and it was impossible to get past the cars. And there are, I have discovered, drivers who hate so much seeing a cyclist pass them in traffic that they will move closer to the kerb so you can’t get past!

Then I was using the shared pathways around near the bus station/loop road, which are clearly signed showing they are shared for pedestrians and cyclists, and was abused by a pedestrian for being on the pavement.

I see why people drive and would rather sit in traffic.

/rant

bikerbaboon
    Free Member

Plenty of numpty drivers in leeds, Remember you are a llowed to use the full width of the lane as needed and there is nothing wrong with filtering on the out side of the lane as needed ( you need to keep your eyes peeled for trafic starting to move or people plannig to get sick of waiting and pulling a quick U turn). Around the bus station done use the cycle lanes just use the roads.

Remember you have a right to be there and keep a strong position on the road when needed.

or more along hte canal topath and enjoy a quite ride in. 😀

ton

I cycle daily in leeds.
    it is horrendous.
    laziest, horribleist, worst car drivers I have ever encounted.
    I am lucky enough to be able to use the canal for all but the 1sr mile, and last mile of my commute.

thomthumb
    Free Member

closer to the kerb so you can’t get past

you’re on the wrong side.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Nearly taken out, this morning, by a Merc doing a U-turn on Wetherby Road, about 100m before the Oakwood lights. He got all upset when I fired up the Vision 4 at him…. 😐

Pyro

My couple of miles from Headingley through Meanwood and out to Moortown is usually alright, but occasionally enlivened by some daft biddy in either a Chelsea Tractor or an A-Class trying to take me out as they turn in to Waitrose.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

you’re on the wrong side.

Can’t get past on the other side either – not enough room between 2 lanes of cars to get through. They seem to cram together like sardines, so desperate are they for the next green light.

I ride from Chapel Allerton into the city centre, out near Crown Point. I wish the canal towpath was an option, used to do that when I lived in Armley.

edlong
    Free Member

laziest, horribleist, worst car drivers I have ever encounted.

Nah, I used to commute in London, it was far, far worse there.

I don’t bother with the shared use stuff near the bus station, just use the roads. TBH, hadn’t even noticed there being any shared use stuff.

IanW
    Free Member

Has the canal path now been made a cycle path?

I lived in Leeds up the age of 30 and spent many days as child cycling along that canal, often thought it would make a great route into town.

sheeps

IanW

Has the canal path now been made a cycle path?

The plan is that it will be tarmac’d all the way to Shipley. They’ve done the section to Kirkstall already, and are starting the next 16 miles to Shipley in February to be complete by July in time for the TDF. (Just to make people think Leeds is cycling friendly – honest!) More info here http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/consultations/current-consultations

edlong

Nah, I used to commute in London, it was far, far worse there

London drivers at least seem to expect cyclists – whereas Leeds drivers seem to be constantly surprised that there are other people on the road with them (not to mention the complete and utter disregard to the red bit of traffic lights)

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

London drivers at least seem to expect cyclists – whereas Leeds drivers seem to be constantly surprised that there are other people on the road with them (not to mention the complete and utter disregard to the red bit of traffic lights)

Jeremy Clarkson evidently doesn’t expect cyclists!

I’ve cycled in London and found it easier than Leeds. But the worst city I ever cycled in was Bradford – never again. The drivers there are far scarier than Leeds ones, although the taxi drivers in Leeds are a special breed – red lights and indicators and no right turn signs tend to mean nothing to them!

anonymouse
    Free Member

Have I entered a parallel universe? Cyclists complaining about drivers jumping red lights and not signalling manoeuvres?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in Leeds’ is closed to new replies.