Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cycling in Cyprus – whos done it?
  • rooty
    Free Member

Planning a weeks break in April (no kids) for me and the missus in Cyprus. Keen on getting a few days cycling in. A bit of research shows 1) a lack of maps 2) an interesting area called Akamas 15km from Paphos (where we have rented a villa). We have different riding abilities, i'm up for exploration and tougher trails, she likes comfort and safety in knowledge that the trail will be relatively flat and tow-path like (i.e. I need to know the trail first before she will do it). So i guess im asking, who's done Cyprus and what guides would you recommend?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Did a fair bit when posted there, up Troodos mainly, to be fair a lot of the stuff around Paphos is in a nature reserve,IIRC and They can get a bit touchy about it..

( This was the early 90's so it may have changed?)

I'm sure there are couple of companines that do guiding out there tho.

Just can't think of them off hand..

I've got a mate than may be able to help you out- he's an Army MTB instructer/leader.. who has just returned from there a couple of months ago…

http://www.cypruscycling.com/

uplink
    Free Member

I looked at going with this lot a couple of years ago but never did so can't comment really

may help you though

http://www.wheeliecyprus.com/index.html

Dickyboy

Went in mid December about 7 years ago, based in Omodos south west troodus mountains – mile after mile of fire roads & tracks to explore, but can't imagine anywhere round there being flat, by memory it wasn't steep but fairly unrelenting climbs.

bigsur
    Free Member

Ridden a few times over there with http://www.wheeliecyprus.com/index.html. Nice people and they can supply bikes, kit and accommodation.

The area around the Akamas Peninsular is mainly exposed fire roads/tracks with some singletrack downhill. It has some big climbs but the views are worth it.

Futher inland there are some more sheltered rides through gorges etc. but again it's not always flat!

Helen and Al know the area very well though so speak to them and see what they can arrange.

mefty
    Free Member

I did a day's riding with wheeliecyprus as well. It was mainly on tracks which climbed relatively gently. The area was interesting to go to as well with the abandoned mosques and houses from the time of partition. Would recommend talking to them as they seem to cater to a wide range of abilities.

Reluctant
    Free Member

The tarmac, followed by dirtroad from Paphos up to the Akamas penninsula is fairly flat from my memory. The dirt road is easy riding and follows the coast fairly closely, so scenic too. There's a nice gorge on the right which is worth exploring too (Afkas gorge?).
    If you want proper mountains, it's off to Troodos for the hills and superb forest. Love it!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Not long been back from Cyprus went for a wedding so no riding(boo hiss) but did drive up into the Troodos mountains and about 3/4 of the way up mount olympus there was a car park and it was full of mountain bikers coming back and setting out on ride's so guessing that thats the place to head for, had a chat with a few of them seems like there is a fairly strong scene out there(bolsted by British forces)

rooty
    Free Member

Appreciate the advice given so far. I've emailed wheeliecyprus to see what they say. Might give me some motivation through the winter months to get out and ride.

albino
    Free Member

My father-in-law has just come back from a holiday in Cyprus where he did some biking with one of the tour companies out there. He reckoned it was fairly pleasant but not particularly taxing. Quite a lot of scrubland for scenery and the marker points were unusual. "First stop point is the burned out white van." "Now you'll ride until you get to a dumped cooker" etc etc.
    I'm sure there's better out there but it's probably worth checking out different routes…Troodos mountains sound good.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I can only really imagine troodos being exciting. When I went I was kitesurfing so never got to take the bikes, did a bit of walking up in the hills and it looked fairly good but nothing particularly technical.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i have just come back form cyprus and it was good for riding i though i was based around akroti garrison. i used to ride troodos alot but also rode around the training areas.

keyses2

You could also try Al and Kirsty at http://www.mountainbikecyprus.com, very friendly and accomodating. Had a guided ride in the Troodos, would definitely use them again, they also have routes in the Akamas that they could guide you on.

gekkoman
    Free Member

Mountain biking in Cyprus has a huge variety of both easy trails and technical trails. The Akamas offers some relativly easy coastal routes, but also some demanding technical routes with both twin track and single track. But whatever the route on the Akamas the veiws are fantastic.
    On the other hand another popular venue is the Troodos, great singletrack with some good technical problems. Troodos also has a variety of routes suited more to the leasurely rider, with routes following huge valleys passing old bridges etc.. again fantastic scenery. Most of the companies offer uplifts etc. veiw http://www.mountainbikecyprus.com/montain_bike_cyprus_2009/gallery_1.html enjoy!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in Cyprus – whos done it?’ is closed to new replies.