Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • cycling earphones for solo 100 mile sportive
  • jacob46
    Free Member

All joggers wear them! you can Cleary see there iPhone strapped to there arm with wire going to ear.
    so if headphones are not for cyclists why would road.cc review a pair??

adsh
    Free Member

Just ordinary ones.

I use them for my long off road training rides. Just occasionally a great track coincides with a great piece of track when I’m feeling strong and it gives me a feeling that life really is worth living.

I’m really allergic to sudden shocks so I have to be able to hear background noise – non sealing ordinary headphones work fine but I’d not wear them on the road.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Because they would have been sent some to review, and it makes copy.

chaos

On a more practical note, won’t those bluetooth ones linked to get in the way of sunglass arms?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All joggers wear them! you can Cleary see there iPhone strapped to there arm with wire going to ear.

Because they’re great on the Turbo (and some people wear them on the road too, doesn’t mean everyone else has to be happy about the fact)? And if a jogger bumps into another jogger it’s a bump, touch wheels with another bike and you’re picking gravel out of the road rash and waiting for the broom waggon (with a guy pissed off that you weren’t paying attention to what was going on arround you who’s also missing some skin and bike is now broken, and all the people who were behind him who got brought down too).

I like my music as much as the nest person, and I do ocasionaly wear headphones on the MTB.

But on a road ride (in a group or not) I’d either be listening out for traffic, or listening out for other riders. Especialy on a sportive where you’re going to be riding in a group of hundreds (if not thousands) of other riders, a significant proportion of which won’t have a great deal of experience riding in large, close, groups.

It’s 100 miles, talk to someone, that’s the whole point of a sportive, if you’re not being sociable then it’s all the usual suffering of a solo ride, combined with the downsides of a big group with the benefits of neither!

“Etiquet” is just a polite way of putting it. “The rules” is poking fun at them. Call it what you want, it boils down to doing all you can to avoid being involved in a crash (and in the rules case, making your bike look ‘right’ to boot).

DezB
    Free Member

Just get ones that fit your ears! The worst thing is if they keep falling out and you have to fiddle with them while riding.
    LolZ at “hearing a car downshift” behind you making any difference to riding! 😆

D0NK

The worthy righteousness of this place sometimes is a bit daft.

not just on here tho is it? The rest of joe public seem to get in a tizzy about cyclists and headphones. All a load of bollocks really.

D0NK

meander along in their own world oblivious to everyone else it gets a little tiresome.

I’ve had it myself, walker ahead with stupidly loud headphones, narrow track, no way past, tiresome yeah but we’re all out and about enjoying ourselves so no need to get too worked up about it.

If it’s wide enough to pass and they can’t hear or are ignoring you just pass. I don’t like potentially “spooking” people but if I’ve rung my bell a couple of times and tried a loud “good morning” with no response then I just go for it.

DezB
    Free Member

meander along in their own world oblivious to everyone else it gets a little tiresome.

If you did that on the road, you’d probably be dead… Or one of those bicycle riding people that just get away with riding like buffoons, whether they have headphones or not.

IdleJon

attach around the stem/bar area and play upwards towards your face.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST
    njee20 – Member
    It makes a huge difference. If you’ve never heard a car downshift to overtake when you can see through a right hand bend that there is a car coming towards you that they won’t make.. then you will be quite surprised when you get creamed. As opposed to having a fighting chance to brake in time, or find a nice verge. Well.. good luck.
    I can’t hear traffic without headphones. In fact I can hear it better with headphones as there’s less wind noise. What do you in your situation though? If you brake then surely you get hit from behind? If it’s a reaction to the car in front the hearing thing is a red herring. How often have you ridden off the side of the road? I’ve never been ‘creamed’, nor ridden into a verge in 50,000+ miles of road riding.

Have you never ridden down a road, heard a car approaching from behind and motioned for them to slow down because there’s a car coming through the narrow bend towards you (or whatever), then waved to thank them for their patience? I’m surprised if you haven’t done this – most drivers appreciate the communication. Maybe I’m unusual in doing this?

Loving the “I can’t hear traffic without headphones” btw. 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

@idlejohn No you’re not unusual – I do it regularly

Every road user will benefit from fewer distractions: whether that’s drivers on their (hands free) phones; cyclists using headphones or pedestrians with their Facebook updates.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Shure ear buds for me, can remember the model, but they’re all good.

Very secure, sound awesome, and can’t hear a thing from the outside world!

IMO You don’t need to hear anything to ride, motorcyclists have been doing it forever (ear plugs), and deaf people aren’t banned from cycling.

Each to their own though, whatever makes you happy. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Each to their own though, whatever makes you happy.

I’m just happy with maximum awareness of my surroundings. My brain can cope without music for many hours, turns out I’m just special 😉

ant77
    Free Member

I had a set of the bluetooth aftershokz.

Really liked them for running and for wearing about the house. Quite strange to be having a conversation, but still have music. Even more so when you put your fingers in your ears and the music carries on, but clearer!

But, out on the road bike I couldn’t get over the amount of wind noise. Meant I had to have them at full whack, which meant when I slowed down it was too loud. It’s an excellent idea and I liked not having wires, but I ended up sending them back…
    The mountain bike was better as the average speeds were lower.

I’ve now gone back to a single left ear bud on a low to moderate volume so I can hear what’s around me.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I like music as much as the next man but when cycling , road or MTB I actually really enjoy the silence or the sounds of nature that you hear , It’s something I find really relaxing . Also some of my best thinking is done while cycling . Each to their own I guess but earphones must mean you are not as aware of your surroundings and have more chance of having an accident I would have thought .

imnotverygood

This thread needs to differentiate between riding on your own and using headphones and riding in a bunch. Completely differnt scenario IMHO.

jacob46
    Free Member

Riding solo but in a sportive. what problem would it cause?

jacob46
    Free Member

Ant77 what a great idea!

hora
    Free Member

I ride to see, feel, smell and hear on a bike. Are you that uncomfortable with your own company OP?

Why do I want some waubbling on in my ears when I could experience the countryside fully?

Madness.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I ride to see, feel, smell and hear on a bike. Are you that uncomfortable with your own company OP?
    Why do I want some waubbling on in my ears when I could experience the countryside fully?
    Madness.

I listen to music on the traffic free bits of my commute, I don’t get much opportunity to listen to music so the 90 minutes a day I get to do it when riding is great. I can still think when I listen to music and I really do like my own company.

When I get on the road I turn the music off though, I just don’t like the distraction but each to their own.

I would never consider using earphones in a sportive though, it’s just rude.

IanMunro
    Free Member

With your level of understanding of both running and cycling, you should really think of taking up triathlons. For charity obviously.

natrix
    Free Member

Why don’t you just listen to the voices in your head??? 😯

It’s what I do…………

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Riding solo but in a sportive. what problem would it cause?

Have you ever actualy ridden a sportive, there will be litteraly hundreds if not thousands of riders arround you, passing you, being passed. Talk to them, in amongst the Mamils there are some right characters, last (and only) one I did I spent most of the route with a guy in his late 70’s on some retro Italian exotica doing it in the full waistocat, necktie and trousers he’d had his tailor remove the crotch seam from for cycling! Looked like he was off to the shops circa 1890 not off for 100miles of hills!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘cycling earphones for solo 100 mile sportive’ is closed to new replies.