Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cycling by Sizewell, Suffolk – local knowledge needed
  • Flashy
    Free Member

We’re going on holiday to a house near Sizewell (Leiston). My question is 29er or fat bike. Are there any off road shenanigans near by or is the beach cyclable?

johnnystorm

http://Www.trogmtb.com

29er :up

Tunstall forest, club ride most Sundays.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I remember being just up the coast from the power station in a thundersorm and it caught fire, strangely it never made the news? I guess “nuclear powersation on fire just upwind of london” might have generated some panic!

MrGreedy

Very locally there’s pleasant easy offroading around Sizewell Belts, and south towards Thorpeness, with some interesting (cheeky) bits along the cliffs. Slightly further afield there’s lots of bridleways up towards Dunwich forest, although you’ll need to be careful of your route around Dunwich Heath (National Trust) and Minsmere (RSPB) as these are sensitive nature reserves and best avoided.

As Johnny says, Tunstall forest is the place for a bit of proper singletrack – have a look on the forum and you’ll be made welcome on a ride. If you’re feeling keen it’s a rideable distance from Sizewell – my folks live a bit further up the coast and I’ve occasionally done a 90% offroad route down to Tunstall and back, can email you more details/GPS if you’re interested.

Flashy
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Looks like it may have to be the fixed Karate Monkey then.

What’s the actual beaches like, sand, shingle?

MrGreedy

Flashy – Member
    What’s the actual beaches like, sand, shingle?

Yeah, both of those 😉 Sizewell beach itself is fairly sandy, gets more shingly the further north you go. There are quite extensive partly grassed dunes that could be fun to play about on a fatbike I guess, also some of the inland bridleways/farm tracks get pretty sandy. Fixed would certainly be fine, there’s not much in the way of gradient nearby.

Flashy
    Free Member

Decisions, decisions. Now can someone please fix the weather…….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cycling by Sizewell, Suffolk – local knowledge needed’ is closed to new replies.