Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cycling and pain management
  • catfood
    Free Member

Well I had to have a couple of ops on my left foot a while back, nerves out followed by a haematoma which I could have done without which means its taken much longer to heal than usual.

My surgeon gave me the all clear to cycle a while back, she said I couldnt do the foot any harm but it may hurt. Ive been out a bit here and there but did a good 30 mile loop today and was in agony for the last half of it.

Im wondering if there is any real solution to manage the pain, not sure of the effects of lots of pain killers when cycling. Is there something I could rub on the foot to relieve the pain?

Any thoughts or experiences welcomed.

Ive been dicharged from my surgeon now, hence why Im asking here, cheers.

angryratio
    Free Member

One potential problem with long term pain killer use is liver damage and also dependency.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ring the hospital and ask to speak to the surgeons secretary she/he maybe able to get the surgeon to call you herself to discuss the problems you are having, after all they want good surgical outcome too.

Or speak to your GP to be referred back to the surgeon.

ampthill

Well no direct experience but my thoughts will at least give you a bump.

First sugestion is to ride 15 miles. I heard an interview with a guy who claimed to be an expert on pain management. His advice was. "Find out what you can do in a day pain free. Then do it every day. Build from there"

Second look at some of the electrical pain control systems like Tens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation

Things will improove. I've had loads of pains. In general they get better with time…..

Karinofnine

+1 for speaking to the surgeon.

Meantime: lavender essential oil is reckoned to be a painkiller (and will not interfere with anything mainstream doctors are giving you), tiger balm is good, a hot water bottle (not on the bike obviously), stretching and maybe simply the passage of time.

I wish you well, pain is not nice. x

ash.addy
    Free Member

Broke my ankle whilst rock climbing about 13 years ago after a couple of ops they told me it was U S. Took a lot of pain killers in the early years as well as anti inflams they did give me the option to fuse the joint together to make it solid- I did tell them where to go. Now I just get a dull ache day to day which I can deal with but, I've still got mega strong pain killers and anti inflams which calm the pain when I've over done it.

Just keep going and go back to the doc get it all on your notes as this may affect your ability to work in later life. Don't forget cycling is good for the legs as it's mainly non impact.

By the way do take Cod Liver Oil Capsules and Believe it or not I find a copper bracelet works a bit too.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Speaking from experience.
    After a while, your body switches off from it. Which isn't to say that it stops, it's just that you don't notice it so much.

I seriously and permanently damaged my shoulder in 2003. It still gives me pain, when I think about it, and sometimes it hurts a lot. But mostly, I've found that I've switched off to it.

Just do what you can, build it up slowly, and don't let it get you down.

Bon Courage.
    SB

Diane
    Free Member

Ice after riding not heat

catfood
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks, seems I just have be patient, bloody frustrating tho, I just wanna be able to ride me bike like I used to.

tang
    Free Member

long term pain sufferer here. i have to work within my boundaries. now and again i push it because my legs are good and im loving it. week of pain follows. many factors help like stretching, being not tired, well fueled and bike set up.
    i have a times nearly thrown the towel in. just takes some understanding of your body, work with it and dont give up! best of luck.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Couple of options …. in the 'cream' department – I like Voltarol …. over the counter ….. and I find it better than Ibuleve gel.

Another option would be Hypnotherapy. Some find it useful for managing long term pain relief. You would learn how to use it on yourself for pain relief purposes when required and hence take control. And it's drug free of course.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Dependency – only likely to be a problem with an opiate based drug, which you're not likely to use or need.

Just remember that if it is that painful and you are using pain relief to carry on with riding/normal life, you may worsen a problem that needs attention, there are issues with self medicating in this manner.

Finally are you wearing the same cycling shoes now that you did before the operation? What fitted then might not be suitable for you now.

catfood
    Free Member

Yep, but I now have to wear my winter boots all the time, only things that fit. I might try some voltarol next time Im out, I think theres a tube of it somewhere round the house.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cycling and pain management’ is closed to new replies.