Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cycletouring abroad – planes and bags
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Last time I cycletoured I went with Ryanair before the times of “pay per bag” etc.

If I was to go cycletouring now with say 4 panniers and maybe a barbag, seems to me I’d have to carry a bag for the bike (plastic seems to do) and probably a big stuff-sac to stuff all the panniers into to avoid paying per bag, both of which could be left in left-luggage or carried on tour.

Any thoughts?

Stoner
    Free Member

Youd have to be careful the stuff bag didnt exceed the individual bag limits (size/weight)

Mackem

Couldnt you use a bag big enough for the bike and panniers. When I’ve taken my bike on a plane all my riding gear oes with it, camelbak, helmet, shoes etc. The ground effect non-padded bag is perfect for this as you can put your bike together, fold up bag and cycle straight from the airport.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good point Stoner, Mackem IIRC many airlines stipulate you’re not meant to put anything other than the bike in the bike bag – daft & perhaps not enforced I know, I don’t want to get screwed in an airport (well not by an airline!)

In 2005 I took a bike to Belfast with Easyjet, trawled the website for rules re. bikes, there was nothing saying a bag had to be used.

I turned up at Ed. airport:

EJ rep. “your bike cannot travel unless it is in a bag”

Me “Well I checked the website and no such requirement is online, are you telling me I cannot fly?”

EJ rep. “your bike cannot travel unless it is in a bag”

Me. “who can I speak to about this?”

EJ rep. “You’ll have to write to Easyjet – I am not Easyjet”

I went pretty livid but happily my GF ran off to the BA desk, flashed some cleavage and got me a free plastic bag for the bike.

Unbelieveable.

blades2000
    Free Member

When I toured New Zealand (6years ago) I was really struggling with this. At the time the airline policy was two items. I was flying via the USA to get most luggage allowance.

Luckily for me bike did not need to go in a bag so.
    Bike to airport, turn handle bars and zip tie to cross bar. Remove rear mech, chain and pedals.
    zip tie quick releases closed just in case and let air out of tyres.

I then put three of my four panniers in a bag with my tent I used a large rucksack cover. The fourth pannier I took on as hand luggage with my helmet.

At the time I didn’t encounter any problems with this solution however it really depends on the airline you are flying with.

I met people in while touring who arranged storage of a bike box while they were touring then simply repacked it to go home.

HTH
    Nick

cynic-al
    Free Member

ChEers Nick, anyone else?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I flew with Ryanair about 3 years ago with two bikes. Managed to get two bikes in fordable decathlon bike bike, plus a few odd bits like roll mats. Total weight was just of just under 30kg. We had paid extra for one bike bag with a limit of something like 30 kg.

Panniers strapped together to form one other piece of check on luggage for one person (15kg limit all used). This way between the two of us we had one piece of check in luggage and one bike bag. + Hand luggage. (There were check in fees for all hold luggage)

Had T&C all printed out, plus some other stuff from the website, relevant parts highlighted e.t.c Arrived early and no problems. T&C may have changed now though.

Be well organised, be early know the T&C before you buy the tickets and only then book.

Short trip though only a week in France.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers thebrick.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cycletouring abroad – planes and bags’ is closed to new replies.