Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • cycle/small shed plans?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

does anyone have any plans or links to websites with them for making a small flat roof bike shed – or indeed any advice on building one? thanks

wwaswas

It’s often cheaper to buy a shed than buy the wood and then build one, tbh, unless you

a) have a very odd shaped space
    b) want the challenge of building one
    or
    c) are looking for something a lot more substantial than the average shed.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i did a quick tot up and from the yard i get my wood i can build something about the size i want, roughly 2m x 1m for under/around 100quid. cheapest bike sheds i can find start at 99quid, but i made the mistake of buying a budget shed a few years ago and it was utter rubbish. at least i can make one from good wood.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s often cheaper to buy a shed than buy the wood and then build one, tbh, unless you”

SIMPLY NOT TRUE (unless your shopping at bnq for your wood)

how ever – once you step away from the crap offerings that most sheds are and build it out of propper wood the price creaps up.

FWIW the cheapest 8 x 10 shed i could find was 800 quid – and would have blown over in a stiff breeze – 8mm shiplap and 2×2 for frame.

built mine out of 4×2 with 8×4 floor joists – an 18mm marine ply floor , 12mm marine ply roof finished in felt , and 16mm shiplap.

500 quid all in.

just had to use a bit of noggin to build it – more secure as well – they werent taking the door off this without a fight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trail rat + 1.

wwaswas

I don’t want to walk all over the OP’s thread so this is my last contribution ont he bought vs made debate but these guys sell 8×10 sheds for £230. http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/The-BillyOh-20-Range?oid=18381&rtag=category-product-banners It may indeed blow over in a stiff breeze but it’s not £800.

OP – I love building my own stuff – if you have time tools and ability to do it then go for it. I was just urging caution on the ‘it’s bound to be cheaper’ side of things, really.

Oh, and do build a tanellised frame to rest it on, even on concrete etc, otherwise the base you make will rot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wouldnt put my lawnmower in that shed let along thousands of pounds of bikes.

its like a fence with a roof.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the shed i bought was a billy-o, its was unbelievably rubbish. not me being fussy, just appaling. i sent it straight back.

footflaps

I bought a dirt cheap 8’x6′ shed about 15 years ago, it’s been moved once, re-felted once, but basically still standing and not going anywhere. It will get replaced soon only as I want a larger shed and don’t need two.

trail_rat
    Free Member

as for tools – for a shed you require a tape a hand saw , a hammer, a screw driver and a paint brush. – the rest is just nice to have.

the rip snorter , chop saw and nail gun just sped up the process.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘cycle/small shed plans?’ is closed to new replies.