Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Will this break my bike?
  • bol

I’ve just moved house and have got a garage to store my bikes in for the first time. I want to store the bikes that don’t get used every day high up at the back of the garage. When I went to by a couple of those twin-pronged fixed hangers, they were out of stock, but had hangers that fit round a pedal and hold the bike to the wall via gravity.

They’re cheap, compact and hold the bike at a rather stylish angle, but do you think that the forces they place on the bottom bracket and crank will do any harm in the long term?

trout
    Free Member

How much force do you think is generated when you are stomping up a climb using said pedals

Hanging a bike up by the pedal will be minute in comparison

madhouse

I think it should be fine.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to now go and buy a lighter components/wheels to ease the pressure though! 😀

curvature
    Free Member

Can you post details of the bracket/hanger please?

wwaswas

We’re in danger of ignoring the fundamentals here;

Big ring when taking road bike pictures please.

Given the circumstances the crank arm angles might be forgiven.

the rear brake outer looks a bit odd too.

The QR skewer angles – get them sorted!

Hanger looks like a good solution 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wall needs painting 😆

bol

How much force do you think is generated when you are stomping up a climb using said pedals

Not very much, frankly, but I take your point.

curvature – Member
    Can you post details of the bracket/hanger please?

It was about £7 from Halfords.

Yes, I know I’ve committed most of the deadly sins of bike pictures. At least I cut my grass first, although sadly you can’t see that in the picture.

Northwind

Clever bracket.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not in a thousand years.

Yes those clamps are nifty – a little like this

which is how Twinny Load bike carriers fit.

That reminds me I have to ask the forum about getting ours to fit the car…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Nice 🙂

quite fancy making a fold down version for bike washing duties.

raisinhat
    Free Member

The QR skewer angles – get them sorted!

The rear one is perfectly acceptable assuming it can’t be closed horizontally facing forward. The front one is a complete mess however. Also, too much rear brake outer cable, curves should be aesthetically pleasing, not gigantic loops. The stem is also far too high.

(In all seriousness, hanging it by a pedal is absolutely fine – if the pedal couldn’t support the weight of the bike, how is going to handle the force of someone in a full on sprint?)

GrahamS

Hmm I’m not so convinced. Surely* that design means the weight of the bike is trying to pull the pedal off its spindle?
    That doesn’t seem like the same kind of force that you get “stomping up a climb using said pedals”.

Having had a (poorly maintained) pedal come clean off the spindle whilst just riding along I’d be less than happy with that design.

*(Depends on the actual angle it hangs at I guess, hard to tell from photo)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Will this break my bike?’ is closed to new replies.