Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cyclescheme Question – Frame Only?
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Has anybody bought just a frame on this??

It’s all I’d really like, but could possibly have it built up to something rideable with cheap parts, then do the swap when I get it.

What do you reckon?

thomthumb
    Free Member

depends on the bike shop

geoffj

depends on the bike shop

and your appetite for fraud

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

not according to the government guidelines. a complete bike must form part of the scheme. OFT and HMRC are starting to take this more seriously, so be careful.

theflatboy
    Free Member

what’s fraudulent about that? if he’s allowed to buy just the frame he will. if it has to be a whole bike he will… no deception going on, just making the most of the scheme to suit his needs, surely?

geoffj

what’s fraudulent about that?

Nowt if he buys a whole bike. If he buys a frame only then he will have to lie on the voucher – and that would be fraudulent.

bigsi
    Free Member

Yep it depends on the bike shop to a large extent.

It’s not fraudlent to just get the frame (well thats what the scheme provider advised me when i set it up for our company) as there is nothing in the rules that say the bike has to be an ‘off the peg’ bike so if you were getting a custom build done then you would be buying just the frame all be it with other bits as well. I bought frame, forks, headset, bb & crank plus seat post when i did mine as i had all the other bits off of my old bike.

There is very little policing of the scheme from what i can tell.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

wot geoff said

bigsi
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

what’s fraudulent about that?

Nowt if he buys a whole bike. If he buys a frame only then he will have to lie on the voucher – and that would be fraudulent.

The form doesn’t ask anywhere if its a whole bike or not just asks you to state the make and model so you just put the make and model of the frame you are buying when completing the paperwork.

yossarian
    Free Member

i will be buying a frame/fork and getting all the bits from one of my existing bikes swapped over.

Nothing in the rules that prohibit that, the LBS will supply me with a complete bike when i go to pick it up.

geoffj

2) What equipment is included under the tax exemption?

Eligible equipment includes cycles and cyclists’ safety equipment. The tax exemption defines a “cycle” as ‘a bicycle, a tricycle, or a cycle having four or more wheels, not being in any case a motor vehicle’ (192(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c.52)). An electrically assisted pedal cycle can be included under the scheme.

Depends on the definition of cycle or bicycle, but last time I looked it included wheels.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

the scheme does state that it is for complete bikes i.e. a complete, ready to go bike must be supplied. This is mainly because the scheme is intended mainly to attract people who wouldn’t normally ride, and therefore bikes need to be supplied in a safe state having been assembled by a bike shop, or for mail order, supplied with instructions for final assembly (pedals, handlebars, tyres etc).

geoffj

Nothing in the rules that prohibit that, the LBS will supply me with a complete bike when i go to pick it up.

So presumably you are donating the wheels and other bits to your employer which they are then leasing back to you?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I believe it’s called a “custom build” 😉

hp_source

Could you not buy a cheap bike and have the frame as an accessory? then sell the cheap bike to fund bits for the frame? surely that’s not ‘breaking the rules’?

geoffj

Could you not buy a cheap bike and have the frame as an accessory? then sell the cheap bike to fund bits for the frame? surely that’s not ‘breaking the rules’?

Not really

Cyclists’ safety equipment is not similarly defined in the legislation and a common sense approach should be taken to the equipment provided. This could include:

* Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    * Bells and bulb horns
    * Lights, including dynamo packs
    * Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
    * Cycle clips and dress guards
    * Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    * Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    * Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    * Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

It is the employer’s choice what safety equipment is offered, but you may wish to confirm with your local tax inspector whether the equipment you provide falls within the tax exemption.[/b]

yossarian
    Free Member

So presumably you are donating the wheels and other bits to your employer which they are then leasing back to you?

no, if asked i am donating them to the lbs who will in turn donate them back to me as part of the overall build

geoffj

no, if asked i am donating them to the lbs who will in turn donate them back to me as part of the overall build

Except the LBS is not sellng / donating the bike to you. They are selling it to your employer who you then lease it from.

You will probably be OK, but don’t kid yourself that what you are doing is within the rules.

yossarian
    Free Member

yes dad 🙂

geoffj

😆

topangarider
    Free Member

Ok, so if I don’t get a frame – what bike do I get?

Light racey hardtail?
    Better commuter e.g. roadrat?

Don’t even think about suggesting singlespeed.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Yep custom build… I now people who have had Hope Vision 4’s on the scheme… they were Custom build apparantly

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cyclescheme Question – Frame Only?’ is closed to new replies.