Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • *** cycles tell me XTR is discontinued!
  • robdob
    Free Member

Schwimoid, I see you must be under a lot of stress as the pressure is stopping you stringing a coherant sentence together.

Tip, don’t take the cash unless you have the stock to sell, it’s just bad manners.

grumm
    Free Member

Schwimold – referring to customers who just want what they ordered at the price they ordered it at ‘money-grabbing’ is extremely poor form in my book.

I wouldn’t buy anything from someone so unprofessional.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll wager that Merlin/CRC are only doing them at that price as they have residual stock at the old price. Just wait a month, I bet their prices go sky high. Smaller shops won’t hold stock of 100 XTR chainsets, so have to up the prices much more quickly.

No one’s screwing anyone over, if you don’t want to pay it, get over it and buy something else, but not Race Face Next Carbons, as they’re now £495, and Truvativ Noirs are not much less!

And… M975 refers to disc brake components, where M970 is v-brake. So BR-M970 is the v-brake, and BR-M975 is the disc brake, same with the hubs. There’s certainly no M975 chainset at the moment.

soops
    Free Member

Dibbs

Outer ring £89.99 at crc

😉

takisawa2

Nowt wrong with XT stuff. IMO.
    XTR is for bike snobs & show-offs.
    I doubt it performs that much better.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Theflatboy – i am the retailer.

ok fair enough – i see the frustration from your side, in that case.

njee20
    Free Member

Ie you’ve never used it. I like my Golf, people who buy Ferraris are cocks, I doubt they’re that much better.

Again, if you don’t have the money, fine, don’t buy it, if you do and you want to spend it on that, go nuts, it’s not rocket science! Why do people have to justify their purchases to a bunch of morons on here who’ve never used it, but know that it’s not a worthwhile purchase?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with XT stuff. IMO.
    XTR is for bike snobs & show-offs.

Incorrect, on both counts.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah njee20 you may have a point, but then if you are buying the most expensive top of the line parts, rather than cheaper, perfectly decent alternatives, then whinging about the price seems a little lame.

Its like someone whining about the price of cristal.

richc
    Free Member

Unless you are a pro racer, do you really need XTR? and I agree why whine about the price if it helps you get a podium place surely the winnings/sponsorship will pay cover the price.

Unless of course you aren’t a pro racer, which begs the question why are you buying it …

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Unless of course you aren’t a pro racer, which begs the question why are you buying it …

1.Because I can afford it.

2.I bought all my XTR gear 18 months ago when the price was at it’s lowest, eg chainset £180.

3. I’ll be **** glad of all the lightweight kit when I’m on my X lap soloing at the Clic24, Bikefest etc.

Michael-B
    Free Member

All this XTR stuff (each to there own I say) seems to have gone of the point 🙂 the really bad customer service which means I for one will be avoiding this company.

richc
    Free Member

In response.

Point 1:
    If you can afford it, why moan. Its like moaning at the price of a Ferrari wing mirror.

Point 2:
    Fair enough, you can put the savings towards new rings

Point 3:
    As for the weight saving when racing, yep I am sure you will be glad of saving 100 grams on a crankset whilst dragging around 10 pounds of mud.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

In response.

Point 1:
    If you can afford it, why moan. Its like moaning at the price of a Ferrari wing mirror.

Point 2:
    Fair enough, you can put the savings towards new rings

Point 3:
    As for the weight saving when racing, yep I am sure you will be glad of saving 100 grams on a crankset whilst dragging around 10 pounds of mud.

1. I’m not moaning.

2. The inner ring is fairly inexpesive, the middle ring is titanium it’ll last ages and ages, this is the ring I use the most, I rarely use the outer ring.

3. I’d rather have 10lb of mud attached to a 23lb bike than 10lb of mud attached to a 30lb bike.

robdob
    Free Member

Micheal B. Good point, I will be avoiding in the future too.

The other issue, I think we need to lay off the people who want to buy this kit. All the XTR stuff filters down into the lower groupsets, so those people who buy the cutting edge stuff do us all a favour eventually. They will always be in a minority as it is all so expensive, and the differences are tiny. But how much does the Deore groupset, which all should admit work amazingly, owe to the XTR buyers over the last few years? I say thanks to all the crazy rich (or heavily in debt) people who ARE prepared to spend £100 on a chainring!!!!!!!

v10
    Free Member

The issue isnt just with XTR though.

Just a few examples.

XT Cass – £78.29
    XT Shifters – £107.65
    XT Chainset – £205.52
    XT Shad R Mech – £78.29

Now im well aware that once all the old stock has dried up and companies are purchasing at these new prices there will obviously be discounts on these prices but they arent going to be far off what you could get XTR for 6 months ago.

Deore is now pretty much what XT was a few months ago (except the chainset):

Shifters – £68.50
    Chainset – £73.39
    R Mech – £48.93
    F Mech – £31.31

Sure the prices on the XTR are the headline grabbers but its the Deore/SLX/XT price increases that should be the biggest cause for concern. Plenty of times ive smashed up a rear mech out at a trail centre somewhere ad just popped into the shop for a £20-£25 deore to get me going and not spoil the ride. Now they are listed at £48.93, so your going to do well to get one from this type of shop for £40.. id probably pack up the bike and go home.

As for people spending large amounts on XTR, why let it bother you. It will still be purchased because it is the best, many people want the best regardless of price and regardless of wether or not they are a pro racer. Fact is its nice to have nice kit and most people will buy the nicest kit that they can justify to themselves. For many people this may be deore, for many others it will be XTR. Were all different and we all like different things so arguing about it is a pretty fruitless exercise. 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I’m glad my garage is full of bikes and spares – as well as stuff I never quite got around to selling…. I bought some XTR gear in the sales for a just-for-fun light build project when all liked nice and cheap – such as chainset as above for £180 and sold the chainrings for over half that and just use normal ones. I’ve got a load of spare rings – the XTR ones might last longer and be stiffer but they’re not any lighter than others. But I have bikes where I don’t care about the weight so just have a mix of deore upwards as I found nice deals – kinda like using more basic stuff in the mud.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dibbs

Outer ring £89.99 at crc

They don’t have any in stock though 😥 Madison don’t appear to have any stock either.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘*** cycles tell me XTR is discontinued!’ is closed to new replies.