Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cycle > Train : Rammy to Manchester
  • rammymtb
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

I please need some advice. Today was my first attempt at cycling from Rammy to Bromley Cross so I could get the train into Manchester. Getting to the station was the easy and enjoyable bit, what I didn’t expect was an insanely packed train (including me with my road bike), in fact so full that by the next stop at Bolton no-one else could get on!! This is bloody ridiculous. I had to get off at Bolton and just let people on and try and find an alternative. Fortunately a train to Victoria came along with loads of carriages including an empty cycle carriage.

So currently I thinking the best option is to ride to Bolton, but does anyone please know if the Hall i ‘the’ woods train is packed around 730ish? That would be a better train to get.

Cheers

binners

Hi Fella

I’m off into Manchester city centre tomorrow. The trains are a ****ing nightmare at that time.

I’m riding down the lines from Rammy into Bury, and using the proper Cycle Hub lock up here, then jump on the tram.

Get yourself a swipe card. They’re 20 quid a year, and you’ve to secure bike parking all over greater Manchester.

I know this doesn’t help you tomorrow, but as a longer term solution its a goer

rammymtb
    Free Member

Hi Binners,

Cheers this is Wellsy – we met just before Xmas in Morrisons where our other halves we chatting. I did consider the hub at Bury but was a bit put off wondering if it was secure enough?? I’ve recently purchased a very lovely Holdsworth and it would rather stand out being bright orange ‘n’ all! I love the look of the hub in the city centre but it’s a case of riding all the way which is a bit much. I think I may have to try out the Hall i’the’ train as a ‘normal’ commuter and suss out the capacity situation.

Wellsy

binners

Aye up Wellsy. Ah… I’ll be on the P7 which is presently so caked in crap you can’t actually tell what colour it is/was. I think it is pretty secure though. Haven’t heard of any issues. For 20 quid a year though its worth getting a swipe card, just so you’ve got it.

I used to get that train in from Darwen on the same line. Have you thought about riding to Entwistle and getting on it earlier? and I found that if you got the earlier one, it was miles quieter. I don’t know if thats an option?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

As binners say d. The chaos on that line starts at Bromley Cross. I’d ride to Darwen and get on it there. It’s usually fine. Used to get the 0810 train from Darwen to Bromley cross and it was rammed when I got off there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cycle > Train : Rammy to Manchester’ is closed to new replies.