• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • cycle tourists, what tent do you use?
  • ton

in the market a 2 new tents.

a single skin light thing for 1 large person, and a bigger thing for 2 people, to replace a vaude hogan which has been mouse nibbled.

what do you use?

metalheart
    Free Member

How tall are you? I’ve a Lunar Solo SE but at 6′ it’s a bit on the nippit side if there’s a wind/rain/condensation….

ETA: in action

stevemakin

Tony, look at the Nigor Pio Pio

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The OP is about 6’3″.

Ton, are you completely mad?

metalheart
    Free Member

The OP is about 6’3″.

Then the SMD will definitely too small… 😳

Andy

No chance Ton will fit a Lunar Solo

oliverracing

Luxe hexpeak f6, great for two people, plenty of space for gear and about 2.3kg all in.

Yet to use on tour but the initial first uses showed promise and seems to be well made and reasonably easy to pitch!

I’ll update in June after a month of use….

tjagain

lightwave ionx – however I doubt its big enough for you 🙂

montgomery
    Free Member

I’m your height and the Trekkertent Phreeranger is big enough. Short packed pole length, could be used flysheet only to reduce weight.

ontor
    Free Member

For two of us touring/walking/climbing etc we use Terra Nova Voyages XL

It is a perfect blend of light weight and space.

For solo trips where weight is more important than comfort the tarp & waterproof sleeping bag come out.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

mouse nibble

you need a cat..

single skin light thing for 1 large person

hate too much weight.
    hate single skin tents.
    But use one of those evil designs. Outdated NorthFace super low weight one man tent.
    Good if you camp somewhere where you have to much bugs in the air.
    Real bad weather: pretty much a nightmare. Small and water dripping down the “single skin”.
    If the weather and bugs allow: don’t put the thing up.
    There are blokes around which only use a tarp. Might be smart.
    But bugs are able to turn the night into a suffering…
    The extremely low weight is the only advantage of the old North Face thing…

ianbradbury

Lightwave g15 raid ( looks very like the old Ionx). I’m 6′ 2″, not slimline, and its plenty big enough for me and wife, and gear. Hulka and tarp for solo.

RustySpanner

An ancient Quasar which just refuses to die or a Vango Beta 250, £15.00 when Decathlon opened their Bolton store.

Both tough rather than light but fine split between two.

Have an ancient one man ridge tent for solo stuff, but rarely bother taking the inner, just the fly and bivvy bag.

ton

used a alpkit hunka xl. too small unfortunatley when in sleeping bag, and too claustraphobic.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

too claustraphobic.

haha.

Same with mine:

Outdated NorthFace super low weight one man ten

😯

grum
    Free Member

MSR Hubba NX

trail_rat
    Free Member

We use a big wildcountry Hoolie 2

Plenty of space not too heavy given the space and a nice big porch

Piece of shit though . Don’t recommend it. Doesn’t seem to be able to support its own weight without the poles cracking at every joint.- although a mate has the vango version of the design and his ground sheet doesn’t seem to be waterproof the water comes up through it like it’s not there …..but his poles don’t snap

TN/WC very unhelpful to deal with

Buy else where.

If I do another big tour I’ll be splashing out on the hilleberg.

simondbarnes

I use an Easton Kilo which works well for me but won’t meet either of your needs.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TJtmqQ]20170517_183755-01[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

stevious

The MSR hubba range are worth a look. Last time I looked it was the lightest option I could find that is free-standing. I got a bit sick of having to compromise tent stability when the ground’s a bit rocky.

damascus
    Free Member

Hi ton, 6ft3 as well. I have a nordisk tent.

https://nordisk.eu/nordisk/tents/g/10/#p=1&ps=1000&s=Default&pg=10&c=IntcIiR0eXBlXCI6XCJZZXRpLlByb2R1Y3RzLkRUTy5DdXN0b21Mb29rdXBWYWx1ZXMsIFlldGlcIixcIk1lbWJlclR5cGVcIjowLFwiSXNTZWFyY2hcIjpmYWxzZSxcIkdlbmRlclwiOm51bGx9Ig==&f=W3siSWQiOiJTdWJDYXRlZ29yeS5OYW1lLnZhbHVlIiwiVmFsdWVzIjpbIlVsdGltYXRlIl0sIlZhbHVlc0FzU3RyaW5nIjoiVWx0aW1hdGUifV0=

They are not cheap but it’s been pretty good but not much room inside.

If I was going to buy another tent I’d go cheap and buy a highlander blackthorn tent so I didn’t have to be so precious with it.

https://www.campingandleisure.co.uk/highlander-blackthorn-1-camo-27026.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2BXCLUVtiwd2o-2nyPoj4WpzEr9D_RW_88NksDyqmMQMVzyc6-KTwxoCCOwQAvD_BwE

Weighs 1.5kg apparently. Spend some money on replacing the pegs and maybe get carbon poles and it will be light enough for a lot less money.

scruff9252

We have a OEX cayote 3 from go outdoors. Just under 4kg but tent and inner fit in a 13l front pannier just nicely with poles on toptube.

I’m 6’4″ and my fiance is near 6′ too. Plenty of space for is both and a porch big enough for us both to sit in, with 9our 6 panniers in decent comfort of weather is pish.

We’ve done two 2 week tours with it, Plus plenty of weekends away. It’s great!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a Terra Nova Zephyros 2XL Lite.
    Actually a 2 man tent (as opposed to a normal 2-man tent unless you enjoy sleeping with your head inside someone’s bum). Lighter materials so ~1.5kg
    Was about £150-ish. A few years ago, so may not be made anymore, but someone will do something similar

ampthill

Our Wild Country Hoole has been fine so far pole wise. Quite a cheapish lighting tent

But our OEX had something like 7 pole repair sleeves the last time we pitched it

scruff9252

damascus – Member

If I was going to buy another tent I’d go cheap and buy a highlander blackthorn tent so I didn’t have to be so precious with it.

https://www.campingandleisure.co.uk/highlander-blackthorn-1-camo-27026.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2BXCLUVtiwd2o-2nyPoj4WpzEr9D_RW_88NksDyqmMQMVzyc6-KTwxoCCOwQAvD_BwE

Weighs 1.5kg apparently. Spend some money on replacing the pegs and maybe get carbon poles and it will be light enough for a lot less money.

I have the Blackthorn tent and its 1.5kg with steel legs. Replace with alloy and I got it down to 1.3kg.

It is tiny though – if my head is jammed up against the fly at one end, my feet are against the fly at the bottom end.

It’s impossible to be in the tent and get in/out of your sleeping bag – have to slither out of the tent before you can get out. Don’t even think about being able to get dressed inside either. I used it for a year for quick overnight bivys but have replaced it with a trailstar tarp and bivy bag. Lighter, less packed volume and far more spacious

bumper
    Free Member

MSR are great. Lightweight and the poles are separate so you can strap them to your frame and pack your tent into a bag.

This is very water and windproof. The following morning after this was taken it was in 4 inches of water and still cosy inside!

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Got a vaude taurus 2p UL it weighs about 1.5kg great as a one person but just about fits myself and my 13 yr old ,had it for around 5yrs now and no problems

boblo
    Free Member

Not for you: the ubiquitous Laser Competition

Possibly for you: Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2

The Seedhouse also comes in UL flavour if you fancy a few more ££’s and a few less Ozs. It’s a nominal 2 person tent but luxury for one on extended trips. One and a bit kilos of very high quality Yankee (well Colorado) goodness.

deft
    Free Member

I have a Hubba HP – I’m 6’2″ and it’s fine length wise, it’s also quite tall so not too coffin-like. If you get the ground sheet then you can pitch the fly only which is pretty spacious and a good compromise between tarp and tent.

Biggest downside is that the poles are quite bulky and awkward to carry without a rack.

Sanny
    Free Member

I tested a Hilleberg Niak 2 man tent. It is single entry and not the widest two man tent in the world but it is a very high quality bit of kit. I pitch it all in one in less than two mins, even in biblical downpours. I have happily used it in winter conditions and was so impressed that I bought it.

I would second the Trekkertent Phreeranger recommendation. The design is a direct copy of the sadly long since defunct Phoenix Phreeranger. It was a brilliant tent and well ahead of its time. Marc has taken the design and perfected it using modern lightweight materials. Don’t piss about with lightweight US designed crap. Trekkertent make their tents for Scottish weather conditions so know the importance of keeping the rain and midges out! None of your inner pitched nonsense which can be a total trauma when the weather goes to shit!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘cycle tourists, what tent do you use?’ is closed to new replies.