Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cycle Touring in 1938
  • Bregante

One of my elderly neighbours popped round when I got back from a ride yesterday. He’d seen me going out on what were some very icy roads and it apparently brought to mind memories of his father who was apparently a keen cyclist who went out in all weathers.

He brought me a small gift which I thought some of you might be interested to see…

It’s a bit dog eared but other than the front cover it’s completely intact.

I love this from the CTC secretary.

There’s even a piece on “bikepacking”

And it’s packed with ads from independent bike shops from all over Manchester and beyond.

A nice thing. 8)

I’m not so sure about some of the routes suggested though. Cycling down princess parkway isn’t my idea of a safe riding route…

bencooper
    Free Member

He’s right, Freddie Grubb did make lovely tandems – and recumbents too.

simondbarnes

Lovely

tang
    Free Member

Excellent, about the time my late Grandmother and her sisters were touring the UK.

jekkyl

If you have one, use it intelligently, if you haven’t get one….

😀

or you know, 3 or 4 or 8. 🙂

Bregante

😀

rwb61
    Free Member

Lovely historical insight into cycling for the masses

darrell
    Free Member

some of this stuff re-printed in the stw mag would be nice

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Could make for an interesting then and now feature.

Comparing and contrasting you know.

survivor

I want hiduminium fittings on my bike now.

Bregante

More gems

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superb! Thank you for sharing this.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Fantastic.

jekkyl

lol, a shaving kit!
    can’t have scruffy cyclists looking undesirable around campsites with their 2 day growth.

Bregante

More from the “bikepacking” article (love the breakfast comment)

simondbarnes

I think I’ll give candles a miss for lighting my touring tent 🙂

steezysix
    Free Member

“All your eqipment can be obtained for about £11 or so…”

They really were the good old days!

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Brilliant – thanks for sharing.

Even up until the 1960s, Princess Parkway wasn’t particularly busy, and on a Sunday morning, there were more bikes than cars ! That would probably have been the case every day in the 1930s.

Interesting to see the MEN had a cycling correspondent back then. Shows how popular cycling was for many decades until successions of awful road designs screwed this country up. At least that partly resulted in groups like the Rough Stuff Fellowship finding other places to ride….and where would we be without them 😛

Bregante

Yeah the popularity of cycling is evident in the sheer number of Manchester shops with ads in this publication alone. I think I counted 6 in Salford (don’t think there are any now) and there must be over a dozen in Stockport.

A quick googling also suggests that Frank Newey (the CTC secretary who contributed above) had a son who became president of the Rough Stuff Fellowship in the 90’s..

http://prabook.com/web/person-view.html?profileId=537033

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Love this thread. Love the previous idea of a reprint in the mag or online etc

Sundayjumper

Bear in mind that (according to a very quick Google) that’s about £700 in modern money. Which is probably about right.

My grandfather opened his shop in 1936, my parents have a bunch of this kind of stuff in the loft at home, although really more from the forties/fifties.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Love it.
    My ex MiL had kept copies of good housekeeping magazine from the 50’s/60’s and some similar strains of the advice around breakfast was still being circulated then!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Touring in 1938’ is closed to new replies.